Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TV Chan

Dear Rich,

I purchased by set of 39 episodes of "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan" from Old Time Radio, U.K. We have a link to them in our "Links" section here at this site. I was happy with both product and service, however, there are other dealers of this 1957 TV series who sell their product on eBay. There is no realistic prospect at this time of these TV Chan's being offered commercially by an authorized producer.

"The Return of Charlie Chan," also not available via an authorized commercial release, appears on eBay with some regularity. Also, some "grey market" dealers offer it for sale.

I hope that this is helpful to you...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: TV Chan

Thank you for the info. What are your personal opinions on both? How do they stand up or compare to the film series?

Re: Re: Re: TV Chan

Dear Rich,

While the TV show was a step or two down from the low-budgeted Monogram Pictures film productions, still, I have found these half-hour adventures to be interesting at times. There are a couple of surprizes when we see the Victor Sen Yung, the former Number Two Son, appear rather briefly in one show. Also, Philip Ahn, who was Charlie Chan's son-in-law in "Charlie Chan in Honolulu" and Captain Kong in "The Chinese Ring" is seen (in the same show, i believe). There are other memorable moments, and, in 39 shows, there is something of a variety. Also, the fact that Charlie Chan was portrayed by J. Carrol Naish, who played Tom Holt (alias Gangor) in "Charlie Chan at the Circus" opposite Warner Oland adds something of a mild "pedigree" to the television series, perhaps.

At times when watching this series, I can almost imagine an aged and thinner Charlie Chan still interested in investigating crime. James Hong, whom I have had the honor of meeting, plays, as he put it "Charlie Chan's last Number One Son." He is proud of that early role in his lengthy career, and, I must say that that, too, served to kindle my interest in the TV series.

I would humbly suggest that you might get some viewing pleasure out of the "New Adventures of Charlie Chan." At worst, it offers something of a glimpse at the lasting appeal of America's greatest detective. It also offers arguably the best Charlie Chan material since the final Monogram release in 1949.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Re: Re: TV Chan

Thank you very much!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: TV Chan - nephew

Hello Rich. I wrote a note earlier, but I don't think that it sent properly. In it, I had said that I think it's wonderful that people are still interested in my Uncle's work. I am his namesake (or he, mine...?), so I take great Family pride in seeing the call for these old programs.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Patrick