Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Charlie Chan at the Movies by Ken Hanke

I enjoy reading it and using it as a reference. After watching a Chan film, read the write up in the book and see what you think of the commentary. You'll agree with some views and disagree with others perhaps, but it is interesting in any case.

There are a couple of curious spots in the book. For example, it was written before the Manuel Arbo film was located apparently, so Hanke discusses the film without having seen it. He describes it as being in Portuguese, but it's in Spanish, for example. Such tiny issues are very forgivable, of course.

Re: Re: Charlie Chan at the Movies by Ken Hanke

There may be a reason why Ken Hanke thought it was in Portugese:

Raul Roulien, who played Max Minchin, was Brazilian and may have sung at least part of the party scene in Portugese.

I could be wrong but it's possible.

Virginia

Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chan at the Movies by Ken Hanke

Dear Virginia,

What you say is possible. There was that one song sung in Portugese, and the Raul Roulien angle adds to that possibility. Also, when Mr. Hanke wrote his book, I doubt that easy access to "Eran Trece" was not a reality as it is today, so watching it was not always a possibility.

To add my insignificant two cents to the conversation of Ken Hanke's book, I would highly recommend looking for a copy. I have found his work to be a valuable resource.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chan at the Movies by Ken Hanke

Rush,
I'll put it on my Christmas List!!
Virginia

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chan at the Movies by Ken Hanke

Thank you for so much input on the book. I just received it in the mail and really enjoy reading it.