Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Guangzhou Beauty Culture Communication Co.Ltd

Rush:

Also as I explained in an earlier posting on another thread below,

Xinhua Motion Picture Company is the same as New China Motion Picture Company. Xinhua is a Chinese word that just means New China.

Doug

Re: Re: Re: Re: Guangzhou Beauty Culture Communication Co.Ltd

Dear Douglas,

I have thought that Zhong guo ("Center Land") means "China." The character for zhong is a square with a vertical line drawn through it. Depending on the character, of course, "hua" in "xinhua," I took to perhaps mean "flower." So, perhaps your Mandarin speaking friends can clarify and verify the movie company names, just to be sure.

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush:

In your section on other Chan films you write...

"What follows is a list of "other" Charlie Chan pictures, including two Chinese productions and one Mexican-Cuban co-production, as well as a Spanish language version of Charlie Chan Carries On."

You could change "two Chinese productions" to "at least six Chinese productions" or some similar wording.

Doug

Rush:

One suggestion...

Not to burden you with extra work, but it might be interesting to divide the 'Other Chan Films' section into Silent, Spanish-language, and Chinese-language sub-pages. The other films fall rather neatly into those three divisions.

Doug

Re: Re: Re: Re: Guangzhou Beauty Culture Communication Co.Ltd

...oh, except for the two more modern productions. That's the last category.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Guangzhou Beauty Culture Communication Co.Ltd

Dear Douglas,

Thank you, again, for all of the great work! Sadly, the characters you provided in the earlier post (up at the top of this thread) only show as squares on my computer. Is there some program that I can add to make them appear as they should?

Thank you...

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Guangzhou Beauty Culture Communication Co.Ltd

Rush:

Tell me, are you able to see the Chinese characters of the title when you look at one of these websites?

http://www.mtime.com/movie/45071/
http://www.cnmdb.com/title/47169/

The first website shows three Chinese characters plus the English title 'The Shirt with Pearls' and then the year (1938). The second has only the characters and then the year. Or do you only see boxes here too?

Doug

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Guangzhou Beauty Culture Communication Co.Ltd

Dear Douglas,

Sadly, neither worked. I tried to instal the "Language Pack" offered, but that requires a disc that I do not have.

Could you perhaps try sending the titles via email? That might work.

Thank you...

Sincerely,
Rush