Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
why so many people like Charlie Chan?

hi!
we are actually doing a project about why so many people like Charlie Chan? can you guys tell me?

Thanks a lot!

Re: why so many people like Charlie Chan?

Xu Su,
There are several reasons why I like the Charlie Chan movies:

1. He reminds me of my maternal grandfather! How international can you get?! A Chinese detective lives on a Polynesean Island, he's made famous in movies by a Swedish-born actor and he reminds me of a grandfather who had Welsh, Scots-Irish and English ancestory! Both Warner Oland and my grandfather were "old school." They were gentlemen, intellegent, excellent at what they did and a joy to know.

(As to Warner Oland speaking "pigeon-English" . . . Oland's Chan was excatly the same as Oland. Both spoke English as a second language. I would hate for you to hear too many Americans who's families have been here for generations who don't speak English nearly as well!)

2. The movies were entertaining: Well-written enough to make even watching the bloopers fun with excellent actors and production values.

3. The series, actors and all changed with the times they were set in to keep them current while maintaining enough continuity of character so audience would want to come back for more.

4. Hollywood doesn't make movies like this anymore.

Virginia

Dear Xu Su,

First, welcome.

There are som many reasons, I feel, as to why Charlie Chan was and remains so popular more than 80 years beyond his "birth" in 1925. First, he was very original. Never before in American culture was there a Chinese hero that could reach such a broad audience. Prior to his arrival, it is sad to say that in popular publications and entertainment, persons of Chinese heritage were not portrayed in a very kind manner. Charlie Chan changed all of that almost immediately!

Suddenly, a new hero was widely embraced, As I mentioned above, a CHINESE hero. And, what could be more American? A gentlemen, Chinese by birth, making good in our melting pot culture. He, very traditionally Chinese, yet becoming Americanized to the point that some members of his family in San Francisco were suspicious of him (as can be seen in the books by Earl Derr Biggers). The Chan children, all 14 of them, are truly products of the American culture. In Chan, ther American dream has been fully realized.

He was/is a multi-demensional character. Not only a great detective, in the same league as a Sherlock Holmes, but he is so very human. We feel his frustration at times. He loses patience, albeit momentarily, with a son or daughter. He is also portrayed as being very intelligent, bringing forth the ancient wisdom of his culture and combining that with the newer investigation tactics of his era.

Some wrongly criticize his use of aphorisms which he uttered at proper moments throughout his career. Some, hoping to put him down, refer to thiese Chan-isms as "fortune cookie sayings." I must say, I have never found such wisdom within a fortune cookie! No, Charlie Chan's wisdom was very genuine.

I can go on, but I have already said perhaps too much. As I said above, there are MANY reasons for Charlie Chan's great popularity. Chan was, and remains an American hero. More than that, he is an American icon, illustrating the very best that our culture, formed from so many other cultures, has to offer.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: why so many people like Charlie Chan?

When I was a young kid, I saw my first Charlie Chan Film on the late, late, late, late show at 4:AM in 1974. It was DOCKS OF NEW ORLEANS which starred Roland Winters. I eventually watched all of the Monogram Chans. It wasn't until in the 1980's when I finally saw the Fox Chans. I just love those type of spooky who done it mysteries that wasn't that graphic when it came to showing the dead bodies. Funny thing though, While I love Charlie Chan, I didn't care for Mr. Moto or other mysteries like Sherlock Holmes, Boston Blackie, Perry Mason, etc. Don't know why?

Re: Re: why so many people like Charlie Chan?

Rush,
You could never say too much about our love of Charlie Chan!!

Virginia

Well for me there are many reasons. First, Charlie Chan helpe dto show more about family values. Second, his famus acroyms, one was able to apply in ones own life. third, he was original and unique when he was first born I believe 80 years ago. Here was a chinese detective portrayed by a swedish actor, that made Chalrie Chan famous and help me to remember my heritage and reminded of a man I thought was my grandfather. As well as to do owns own detective work when something needed to be learned/solved.

The list goes on.