Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: A Question for Rush involving BLACK MAGIC aka MEETING AT MIDNIGHT?

Thanks Rush for the answers. I do own the GOODTIMES HOME VIDEO tape and there is a different look between the two other than the fact that the GOODTIMES tape was recorded in EP. The main titles on the GOODTIMES tape is MEETING AT MIDNIGHT while the MGM DVD (as well as LD and VHS) has the BLACK MAGIC titles with MEETING AT MIDNIGHT in video superimposed titles below it. Kind of wished they just omitted this. Still trying to figure out why this was the most popular title of all CHARLIE CHAN films, or at least according to Ken Hanke?

Re: A Question for Rush involving BLACK MAGIC aka MEETING AT MIDNIGHT?

I don't want to put words in Ken Hanke's mouth but I believe he was trying to say that this film was perhaps among the most well known (due to frequent exposure) as opposed to most popular.

Even that comment must be qualified in the context of the times. Since Ken Hanke's book came out, the Chan films have been aired on AMC, FMC and half the Fox films are now on DVD. I doubt anyone in 2007 would say that Black Magic/Meeting at Midnight is the best known Chan film anymore.

Steve

Re: Re: A Question for Rush involving BLACK MAGIC aka MEETING AT MIDNIGHT?

You are probably right Steve O. Wrong choice of words. I was guessing that BLACK MAGIC (MEETING AT MIDNIGHT) is in the Public Domain? Is that the reason for the "frequent exposure" of this film? That's what I assume was what Ken Hanke mean't in his statement?

Re:A Question for Rush involving BLACK MAGIC aka MEETING AT MIDNIGHT?

Hi Sam,

Black Magic/Meeting at Midnight is not in the public domain. None of the Chan films are (despite any claims to the contrary by bootleggers).

Steve

Steve O, What about MR. MOTO'S LAST WARNING?

Steve, What about MR. MOTO'S LAST WARNING? I have noticed that it is available on DVD from ALPHA VIDEO, GOODTIMES DVD, FRONTROW ENTERTAINMENT, SYNERGY ENTERTAINMENT, FAMILY VALUE, GENIUS ENTERTAINMENT and for a $1.00 from DIGIVIEW. With so many different DVD companies offering this particular Mr. Moto title, surely this title must be in the pd?