Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rush Glick/Eran Trece

Dear James,

Great questions.

A number of years ago, when I was in the process of transcribing the scripts for the four "lost" Charlie Chan films, a task that required a dozen trips up to Los Angeles, I had the good fortune to be able to take a pretty good look at the script for "Eran Trece." The script was bilingual, and, sadly, I didn't have the necessary time needed to copy the English translation. There was no Kashimo in this script, and, interestingly, the breakfast scene with the Chan family that we see in "The Black Camel" was supposed to have appeared in "Eran Trece."

"Eran Trece" is sufficiently different from "Charlie Chan Carries on" to require a separate treatment with regard to the dialog. When I worked with my good friend Adrian Jimenez to make the translation into English (at this time, there was none available, and it was made available to a gentleman in England who produced a nice quality subtitled DVD), I did make use of the "Carries On" script, as there are a goodly number of parallel passages. It was also very useful in clarifying some questions that we had.

All in all, "Eran Trece" is probably very close to the final version of "Charlie Chan Carries On." Over all, I would estimate that the script for "Charlie Chan Carries On" follows that of "Eran Trece" by about 75 to 80 percent. It should be noted that the former is considerably longer than the later in running time, and this can probably be tied to the long party scene aboard ship in "Eran Trece."

It is my opinion that the translation used for the subtitles for the recent Fox release of "Eran Trece" was based on the script mentioned above. Also, the Fox translation is more accurate than that made by my friend and me, mainly in the more subtle meanings.

I hope that these answers have been of some help to you.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Rush Glick/Eran Trece

Dear Rush,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I was under the false impression that both scripts were identical. I can only imagine the hours of work and dedication that this project and transcribing the scripts for the four "lost" Chan films undertook. Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Best Wishes,
James