Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Politically Correct police And Caucasian actors playing a Chinese character

Dear MW,

Yes, I believe you have made a good point. In my humble opinion, Charlie Chan was singled out for attack by the activist groups because of his being a cultural icon. Indeed, I feel he was a victim of his fame. Chan was and remains a name that has been in our national (world-wide!) awareness for many decades, and this set him up as a target. (How many activists of all stripes seek to undermine cultural heroes and norms in our present "enlightened" era?)

Ironically, what might be protecting David Carradine is the still lengthy shadow of the venerable Keye Luke. Being that Mr. Luke was "there" too, may have lent some measure of acceptance of Carradine's portrayal of Caine. If so, this would be, and I mention, ironic, as Luke was also "there" with Warner Oland and a decade later with Roland Winters.

In the end, though, activists will surely continue to take pot shots at Charlie Chan, as well as other institutions. After all, they, as political/racial "ambulance chasers," seek to hold on to their tenuous "importance," not to mention their jobs.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick