Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Is DVD Planet A Bootleg Operation?

I agree with you as long as what they sell is bootleg. I have gotten great bargains from Third Parties like AMAZON MARKETPLACE. I got a couple of used CHARLIE CHAN Books like Ken Hanke's for almost $10.00 as well as other used books and Videos. As long as they are legit releases there is nothing wrong with buying from third parties for used stuff. Same goes for Ebay!

Re:DVD Planet A Bootleg Operation?

Hi Sam,

Yes, I was referring to bootleggers and not legitimate sellers of used merchandise. I've used ebay and Amazon Marketplace myself for books and other goods.

Books or other tangible goods are fairly straightforward; there isn't a lot of bootlegging there. When you get into movies/music it is difficult to tell what is legit and what isn't unless research is done. That's what I was getting at. It is getting difficult for the consumer. Many of these bootleggers have offshore registrations which makes it difficult for the studios to shut them down. That was a problem with the Vintage Playhouse/Theater operation. They are very shady and openly traffic illegal products. Studios have sent them cease and decist orders which have caused them to move some of their products "under the counter" but getting them shut down has been difficult because they are registered as a foreign corporation.

I've linked an article above you might find interesting about a major bust in Canada recently of an outfit that was bootlegging many popular TV shows.

Steve

Re: Re:DVD Planet A Bootleg Operation?

This is one more reason to appreciate Rush's site here and Kurt's as well (www.charliechan.net). It's nice to have such places to check out what's what and all and know we'll get the facts, latest news and the nicest people . . . not to mention the Chat Room . . . .

Virginia "I-Could-Keep-This-Up" Johnson