Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: The Sleuth Channel's Not So Greatest Detecties List

They did admit in that Sleuth Channel "Mocumentary" that Sherlock Holmes wasn't American. How observant of them. As for Adrian Monk, he is more of a comedy with a detective/murder mystery setting as opposed to Charlie Chan which is a detective/murder mystery with comic elements. In any regard I do not think Monk would make the top twenty. Besides the top ten I have enumerated there are many fine detectives that would precede him on any TV/Film Detectives list. Among them police types such as Det. Bobby Goren of Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Lt. Theo Kojak, Chief Robert T. Ironside, Sgt. Joe Friday, and Bulldog Drummond. Legendary gumshoe types like Mike Hammer, Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade. Reformed criminals such as Boston Blackie and The Lone Wolf. Simon Templar,The Saint is more of a modern-day Robin Hood, not strictly a detective, but I think he might qualify. Even Dr. Michael Rhodes of the short-lived supernatural mystery TV series “The Sixth Sense” I would place above him. I should mention I rather liked Monk for it’s first three mini seasons, but it has gotten increasingly silly as it continues. If foreign sleuths were allowed Cadfael and Lord Peter Wimsey would be above him as well as the previously mentioned Holmes, Father Brown, Hercule Poirot and Miss Marple as well as Inspector Maigret whom I have not really seen, but understand is quite popular. Monk more properly belongs with the likes of Inspector Clouseau and Det.Frank Drebin of Police Squad. I would like to mention a site called The Mystery Box that tells about famed literary detectives through postage stamps. They even have a picture of a Nicaraguan 60 cent stamp featuring the Chinese detective. Also on it was this query concerning Charlie Chan: “Honolulu detective Charlie Chan-who rarely solved a crime in his home town-is perhaps most familiar through the Monogram films of the 30's and 40's. Warner Oland was the first Chan-until he mysteriously walked off the movie set one day never to return. Sidney Toler followed him. Chan fans will know that there was a third actor who filled the role for Monogram. Who was he?”
A) Key Luke
B) Roland Winters
C) Benson Fong
D) Charles Laughton