Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
charlie on TV

Has anyone know why they havent had a charlie chan
movie on TV in like yrs ????
i have cable and cna not find him anywhere
can some one please email me some info
i miss charlie
vicodinlv@aol.com
manny thanks

Re: charlie on TV

Dear Vicodinlv,

Charlie Chan, sadly, has fallen victim in recent years to the forces of poilitical correctness. The most notorious manifestation of this modern day plague was seen in 2003 during Fox Movie Channel's running of a Charlie Chan festival when certain misguided pressure groups "enticed" Fox to pull the plug barely midway through the fest.

However, amidst all of the self-righteous clamor of these groups and others who are similarly self-blinded to the real truth and, yes, progressive nature and intent of the Chan series given the time and place of its composition those many decades ago, Turner Classic Movies has, on occasion, aired a number of these fine pictures. Basically, what they have shown comes from TCM's holdings of six of the Monogram Pictures Charlie Chan films (all of which were released by MGM Home Entertainment as the "Charlie Chan Chanthology" not too long after the 2003 FMC debacle).

So, while TCM remains the only flickering beacon of fortitude in this disappointing era of mental book burning and intellectual censorship, hope always springs eternal that these fine Charlie Chan films, along with the other victims of the PC gestapo, will once again grace the airwaves, satellite beams, and cableways. At least we can all rejoice that a growing percentage of Chan movies is now available to all of us commercially produced, authorized, and digitally restored on DVD. To this end, The "Charlie Chan Collection, Volume 4" is due for release in less than two weeks by Fox.

As seen in many a Chan adventure, while things may appear dark and hopeless, the greatest of American detectives perseveres, and, in the end...well, we all know what happens to Charlie Chan's foes in the end, don't we? The illustrius Mr. Chan will be remembered fondly long after his current critics are but obscure footnotes in a gloomy past.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick