Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What should be done...?

Time for the wonderful poll question about the very real issue of the future of the Charlie Chan movies.

Fox is going to be done with a 5th and final box set that is coming out in the Fall, which is nice because now you will have 31 of the movies digitally remastered and looking good.

It also is looking speculative that Warner will ever find a decent enough print of the 35mm film to finish the collection and allow the Chan viewing public to see the last 11 films which were made in four years' time. Let's be honest: These films were made by a studio that has been out of business for nearly 30 years and the films weren't exactly in the best of shape to begin with.

No one obviously wants these movies to be as lost as the four films which we likely will never see, so this prompts the question: If you own the box sets, what do you think should happen once everyone owns the 5 volumes of Fox DVD's?

A. Warner should actively pursue what 35MM prints it can find for at least another year or two after Volume 5 has sold to just about everyone that's interested.
B. Warner should release with the best material they can.
C. Warner should make the box sets with the best 16MM prints they can find.
D. Nothing; let the black market's 16MM movies dictate what should happen.
E. Other (suggestions are always welcome).

Re: What should be done...?

Dear Steve,

Excellent food for thought. I can tell you that from all that I have heard, Warner is, indeed, looking for the best print available for those films which lack a quality example at the moment. Personally, I remain hopeful and confident that they will track one down. If this fails, I would hope that they would release the films for which they DO have good prints, and then, perhaps include the rougher examples as extra material, at least.

One thing that we can all be thankful for, I feel, is that very soon now we will have authorized commercial copies of all, or at least nearly all, Charlie Chan movies that exist today.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: What should be done...?

I'll go with what Rush posted. . . . If they include the not so hot prints as extras with a notices about the quality, we still get all of them on DVD and nobody can complain.

At least anybody with sense who loves these old films!

She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed!
Virginia

Agree with what Rush said.

I wouldn't suggest Warner wait too long after Vol 5 before releasing the Monograms else they will risk losing fan interest but given that they've had this set on their radar for about 3 or 4 years I wouldn't be surprised if they've already made some progress on finding the better prints.

Dear Steve,

You really have given something to think about and ponder about the Chan films. Warner might just go ahead and take the time to look for these 35mm films and do their best to digitally remaster them.

However I do believe they won't become lost films like the four that we will more than likely never see at all. Then again, there is still hope in seeing them. Time will be the one to tell us all.

Sincerely,

Nightwolf