Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlie Chan vs Mr. Wong

Hello all. My best to Virginia and her speedy recovery. I just received the recent remastered 2008 Mr. Wong DVD set and watched the first one, Mr. Wong, Detective, which was remade as the Roland Winters Charlie Chan "Docks of New Orleans" which we just "screened" last week. It is very interesting to see the differences and compare the two. Boris Karloff was a great talent and his understated no accent James Lee Wong was a very interesting and different way to play the role. I must say however I prefer the Chan version. The climactic scene where Chan fools the criminals with the power of suggestion is better constructed. The comic relief and assistance by Tommy (Jimmy) Chan and Birmingham Brown in the Chan story is a welcome addition and enhances the tale. And to my mind, the supporting cast, though not the most stellar that Chan has enjoyed, was still much better than the Mr. Wong film. In almost every category you can think of the Chan film was superior. Sorry Mr. Wong, but in a contest between Charlie Chan and Mr. Wong even in working on the same case Charlie comes out best. Perhaps sometime we can screen them both 2 weeks in succession and put them to an objective test.