Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Where was his actual house?

Dear Punch,

If you closely watch the film, "The Black Camel," which was filmed in great part in and around Honolulu, you will see one scene where Mr. Chan boards his 1919 Model T Ford. Several years ago, I had the opportunity to "retrace the steps of Charlie Chan" as shown in that movie. From visual clues present in the film, I determined with certainty that the scene I noted was shot on Prospect Street on the slope of Punchbowl Hill.

The most logical location of the Chan home would have been at 203 Prospect Street, a spot that is now the site of the Tennant Art Foundation Gallery. Actually, the address is 201-203, as it was originally two lots. When visiting the site, one can see the foundation remains of what once was another home on the property. On a typically warm day under the cool shade of the trees neat the street, it does not take too much romantic pondering to imagine a Chan family home once gracing this location. Could it have looked similar to the home shown at our Website's humble Entrance?

As you actually live on this hallowed piece of Chan lore, I hope that you will have the opportunity to pay a visit to this location, especially after having viewed "The Black Camel." "Thank you so much" for your interest...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Where was his actual house?

Dear Rush,

Thank you for the information about Charlie's home. I know Prospect street well and will visit the location that you mentioned.

On another note, when I catch the bus home from downtown Honolulu, I sometimes walk along Bethel and Merchant street which is the location of the old Police station building which is still standing. I imagine that Chang Apana who is the inspiration for the Chan books once walked these very grounds with his infamous whip.

Punch

Re: Re: Re: Where was his actual house?

After work I drove up to 203 Prospect Street the site where CC's movie house may have been. It is on the highest street encircling Punchbowl. On the upper side of the street is only grass and the slope, the lower side is the property. The gate was open and it is a big site with grass, dirt and trees. On the lower left side is the art gallery, an old concrete structure. There is a old driveway from the left the goes around back of the building. The right side has an old reddish concrete base from a former house and a retaining wall because there is a steep incline. In the middle, there is are steps and a steel handrail that decends down the property. There are several trees and a tall palm(not coconut) tree on the bottom right side of the property. The site faces west towards Pearl Harbor and west Oahu.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where was his actual house?

Dear Punch,

AH...your good description brings back fond memories of a special moment durin my last trip to your beautiful city. Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick