Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlie Chans Courage

I Have Found What I Believe To Be A Rare Treasure In The World Of Charlie Chan Memorabilia.

In A Closet Of My Grand Mothers House, Safely Nestled In Between Some Family Photos And A Few Old Quilts Was A Framed Original Window Card For "Charlie Chan's Courage!!"

Because It Was Framed It Is In Quite Excellent Condition. There Are A Few Small Tears Along It's Very Border But The Most Odd Thing Is That The Left Border Seems To Be Missing An Inch Or So. It "Seems" Cut Off So There Is No "C" In Charlie (As Referenced By The Image Of The Card On This Most Excellent Site). It Reads "harlie Chan's Courage" But It Does Not Appear To Be Cut Or Altered In Any Way.

The Inscription "Copyright MCMXXXIV Fox Film Corp. This Display Is The Property Of Fox Film Corp. It Is Leased Not Sold And Must Be Returned To The Fox Film Exchange. Made In U.S.A." Is Complete So I Must Ask If Is This Some Sort Of Misprinted Edition?

Most Importantly Where Can I Get More Information On The Value And Proper Care Of Such An Item?

Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated,
~Adam

Re: Charlie Chans Courage

Dear Adam,

WELCOME! I am very pleased that you found our humble Web site.

Speaking of finds, though, you have indeed uncovered a treasure among your grandmother's belongings. My first question is, is your venerable grandmother still alive? The reason I ask is that she could, perhaps shed some interesting light on the wonderful item that you have discovered, including the reason for the missing "C" that you mention.

As for preserving this fine fiece of Charlie Chan history, as it is already framed, you may want to note HOW it was framed. Art such as this can be damaged when framed when in contact with acidic materials such as cardboard or newspaper. You may wish to have it re-framed by a professional framer, using acid-free materials as well as glass that is UV (ultraviolet) reducing. Make sure that you never display this piece in a location where sunlight can reach it for any period of time, as this can result in damage (fading), too.

Value is always a tricky thing to guage. It is all a matter of condition, in the case of your window card. The few small tears can, of course, reduce the value, somewhat, and that missing "C" bothers me, too. Perhaps yours might be worth $200 to $400 or so, should you seek to sell it. However, that is just a guess based on your description. My feeling is that you want to treasure it yourself, displaying it where you, and others, can enjoy it.

Again, congratulations on your spectacular find! I hope that my stumbling analysis has been of some small help to you...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: Charlie Chans Courage

Your Information Has Been Quite Helpful And I Thank You For Such A Timely Reply.

Both My Grandparents Are Unfortunately Deceased But I Have Faith That They Are In A Much Better Place. We Have Discovered Many Treasures Hidden In Every Corner Of The House Including A Hand Painted Tea Set That Bears A Mark On The Bottom That Reads "Made In Occupied China" And I Am Sure That Over The Following Months We Will Discover Many More Curiosities.

I Have No Plans To Sell This Poster That I Have In My Possession. I Plan On Displaying It Along Side A Framed Front Cover From A Copy Of "The Shadow Magazine" And A Radio From The Early 40's That I Am In The Process Of Restoring.

The Missing Letter On The Poster Is A Mystery To Me Still. As I Have Said The Inscription On The Bottom Is Perfectly Centered And It Does Not Appear That The Poster Has Been Cut Or Altered In Any Way. My Background In Printing Leads Me To Believe That This May Be A Misprint As There Is Also A White Stripe Or Border On The Right Side That Is Equal To The Missing Section On The Left. As I Understand It That Has The Possibility Of Either Adding Or Subtracting To It's Value But Personally To Me It Is Priceless.

Any Ideas On A Website Or An Appropriate Memorabilia Dealer I May Be Able To Interact With To Further Understand This Mystery Would Indeed Be Appreciated.

Now If Only I Could Find A Copy Of The Movie This Poster Advertises.

Blessings,
~Adam

Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chans Courage

I read the poster description. Could not find film either. Do not know if Fox has a master. Drue Leyton (Dorothy Leyton) is in this one and several other Chans. What a life: Mexico, US and the French Resistence! If I hear of the film being around, I'll post. Has to be out there somewhere. Best of luck,
PGF

Re: Re: Re: Re: Charlie Chans Courage

Dear Patrick,

Sadly, "Charlie Chan's Courage" is one of the four "lost" Chan films. Still, hope reigns eternal that a print of that or any of the others may appear somewhere, someday. Until then, please take a look at our collection of illustrated scripts for these currently missing movies elsewhere at our humble Web site.

Sinceely,
Rush Glick