Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A Volkswagen commercial with Charlie Chan (circa 1968)

How cool is that Rush?!

A "mini" murder mystery in a VW commercial, natually solved by our very own Charlie Chan.

Thanks so much for passing on the link!

Matt

That was great, Rush!

A 1 minute mystery - why can't more commercials be like that today?

Re: Re: A Volkswagen commercial with Charlie Chan (circa 1968)

Dear Swing Man,

I, too, wish that we could have more truly FUN commercials as the "minute mystery" featuring Charlie Chan. Mainly, I think the problem today may be the cost of the commercial air time today. I would imagine it is much more pricey than it once was.

As I watched this ad, I seemed to vaguely recall possibly watching it so many years ago. In the article that I read which mentioned a "series" of Chan VW commercials, I wondered and still do, as to whether any more were, indeed shot. Maybe we could contact the car company ans see what information can be found.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: Re: A Volkswagen commercial with Charlie Chan (circa 1968)

Rush,
TYSM for not only finding this commercial but bringing it to our attention!

I have pulled it up on my Charlie Chan Annex page (click on the link above) along with a youtube.com video of Raul Roulien in a rather long clip of "Orchids in the Moonlight" from "Flying Down to Rio" (1933).

He's the one who plays Max Minchin in "Eran Trace" (1931).

Virginia

Re: Re: Re: A Volkswagen commercial with Charlie Chan (circa 1968)

BTW Rush, Do you or anyone know who played Charlie in the commercial? This being a 1968 commercial, He could have played Charlie instead of ROSS MARTIN in RETURN OF CHARLIE CHAN.

Re: Re: Re: Re: A Volkswagen commercial with Charlie Chan (circa 1968)

Sam,
You can click on the above link to my website and it will take you to my Charlie Chan Annex.

I not only have a link to the video of the VW commercial Rush found but the link is a picture of Marvin Miller plus a brief history of his career.

Enjoy!

Virginia

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A Volkswagen commercial with Charlie Chan (circa 1968)

I'm not sure of his name, but with the voice and the shape of Charlie's head/face, it suggested to me the fellow in the old TV series "The Millionaire" who went around passing out checks to deserving folks.

Thanks for the link, I hadn't seen (or sure don't recall) that VW commercial.

I recently came upon the 1968 Charlie Chan Volkswagen TV commercial with Marvin Miller as Charlie Chan. I was wondering if anybody knows the name of the actor who portrays "Number One Son" in the commercial?