Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
My Letter to 3 Asian American Schoolchildren

January 19, 2009

Dear Julia, Jane and Diana:

I just wanted to write and commend you on your efforts regarding your History Day project on Lucretia Mott and to elaborate on how I first got interested in her. It was as I said, on a Schoolhouse Rock segment entitled: “Sufferin' Till Suffrage”. Schoolhouse Rock! was a series of fun educational musical cartoons that aired Saturday mornings on the ABC Network. Subjects included Grammar, History, Science, Economics, Math and Politics. They ran from 1972 to 1986, and infrequently during the 1990s and 2000s.

“Sufferin’ Till Suffrage” is available for viewing on Youtube.

YouTube - School House Rock - Sufferin' Till Suffrage

You may also learn more about the world’s foremost (Asian American) detective,
Charlie Chan , at :

The Charlie Chan Family Home Page

Despite some who view him as a negative stereotype I see him as the first true literary and film Asia American hero.

If you ever have a chance to watch one of his films I think you will see what I mean.

Sincerely yours,

Russell Rubert

Re: My Letter to 3 Asian American Schoolchildren

Dear Russell,

Can you mention more to us as to how these school children reacted? I think that would be interesting to learn.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Re: My Letter to 3 Asian American Schoolchildren

Russell,

Ditto!

Virginia

Re: Re: Re: My Letter to 3 Asian American Schoolchildren

Dear Rush and Virginia: The Holicong schoolgirls were pretty much ignorant of the whole thing. I believe they were astounded when I told them about the Chinese exclusion policies of the late 19th/early 20th centurys. They did not know of Charlie at all and so listened politely as I told of houseboys, laundrymen and Fu Manchu. I toyed with the idea of giving them those extra Chan dvds I received for Christmas, but feared the proprity of it. They are 2 Toler films included the Chanthogy. How is this for an idea: I send them to their teacher along with a letter explaining about Charlie Chan's positive message and suggest he show them to his class as an example of the first true Asian American literay/film hero. But then I was thinking I should select the VERY best of the series to introduce them to Charlie and these latter films would not be up to the job?