Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The rare Sidney Toler films

As far as I understand it, there are several late Sidney Toler films that never made it to VHS or DVD?

# The Red Dragon (1945)
# Dangerous Money (1946)
# Dark Alibi (1946)
# Shadows over Chinatown (1946)
# The Trap (1946)

I have all the official released boxsets, but I see people talking about watching these listed above. I'm wondering if the copies you have are from one of those places that sells the whole series that are supposedly "remastered" or if you have copies you recorded off of cable?

I have copies of all of those but they're at an insanely bad resolution (320x240 ) and I was hoping to find a source that had a decent res.

Re: The rare Sidney Toler films

Dear DLL,

Welcome!

The films that you seek are currently controlled by Warner Brothers. It is believed that Warner will be releasing at least some of their Charlie Chan holdings on DVD in the future. Until then, all we can do is obtain copies from other collectors or from a number of "grey market" sellers. These copies will, of course, be of varying levels of quality. While we do not condone the sale of unauthorized material, sadly, that is virtually the only avenue available at this time, and we do list some of these sellers as a service to Chan fans. Again, none of the last 11 Charlie Chan movies of the series, a number which include all of the titles that you note, are currently available via authorized, quality, releases.

I hope that this helps you in some way.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Re: The rare Sidney Toler films

Yea I knew they weren't released yet, I personally don't care for the Roland Winters ones, only the Warner Oland and Sidney Toler titles. I was looking through these threads hoping to find what people thought was the best redistributer of these films is (quality wise). I have all the titles, I just want a better quality of the ones I mentioned above.