Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Legend of Chang Apana

On Friday night, March 6th, I attended a party in Chinatown. At this party, I was introduced to a short film about Chang Apana, the real-life Honolulu detective who inspired Charlie Chan. At your convenience, please visit the website and view the short film, "The Legend of Chang Apana."

http://www.oceanicity.com/chang/

After you have had a chance to view the film, please consider providing your honest opinion about it to the Charlie Chan Family Message Board. The film runs about 7 minutes.

The Charlie Chan movies which we love and adore are 60 to 80 years old now. I know that we can't expect the Chang Apana film to feel as warm as an old Chan film, but ... what should we expect from the Chang Apana filmmakers?

Thank you for your opinions about a film project that is expected to grow.

Aloha,

Steve Fredrick
Honolulu, Hawaii

Re: The Legend of Chang Apana

Correct web address: www.oceanicitv.com/chang/

Re: Re: The Legend of Chang Apana

Empty & absurd treatment of Chang's history

Re: The Legend of Chang Apana

Dear Steve,

As I mentioned to you earlier, while watching the clip, I was struck by the anachronistic touches such as the clothing and decore that reflect our own era instead of Chang Apana's time. Also, if one listens closely, at one point the sound of a modern police siren (Woo-Woo-Woo....) can be heard in the background of one scene.

The more I think about what I saw, I am not sure what those involved with the film are trying to accomplish. If they would go for more historical and character accuracy, we might, in the end, have a watchable movie.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick