Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: RETAIL release of Monogram Chan in 2010

Hi Sam,

Good news....Warner stated yesterday that a RETAIL (not Archive) set of Monogram Chans is coming in early 2010.

These are restored from the original nitrate 35mm negatives which means they will look as good as new. No more copies of copies of a beaten 16mm print.

No official word yet on which titles are being included in this set but the idea of seeing these films in high quality transfers for the first time has me very excited.

Yes, I've heard of the Archive. It's a great program I think. IMO too much is being made of these being burned rather than pressed. Warner is using new technology which will make these discs comparable to retail releases. These are not the same type of discs that you would burn on your home PC.

The goal is to eventually make their entire 6,000 film library available to consumers which is a wonderful thing.

Steve

How About The Bowery Boys?

Steve, Any News If Warner Will Be Releasing THE BOWERY BOYS too on DVD?

Re: How About The Bowery Boys?

Yes, the Bowery Boys were discussed and are coming. No timeframe given but they've actively been working on this project for several years.

Like the later Chans, these were Monogram films and because there were so many BB films (48) Warners has had a hard time finding release quality prints on all of these films. They've found a number of them though so progress is definitely being made.

Re: Will THE WB ARCHIVE release Charlie Chan?

This is great news. I've been waiting for a quality Bowery Boys release for years.