Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How many Chan films were planned after Winters took role?

Does anyone know after the 6 films with Winters, how many more were they to produce? I'm wondering if there are scripts that still survive.

Re: How many Chan films were planned after Winters took role?

There were 6 more films planned with Roland Winters and Leye Luke and these were to be make in England. No Birmingham and no Tommy/Jimmy. A number of reasons were rumored to have killed the plan. The US Dollar vs the British pound went bad and spooked Monogram real bad. The 1949 invasion of South Korea convinced Monogran that the Chinese detective was no longer popular. Monogram itself was failing and they decided to try and cut costs by dumping some future projects. I doesn't really matter. The films were never made and that's our loss.

John S.

TYSM John for a reply. Any idea on the titles? I would like to see about attempting to locate these.

No titles were given. This was a planned project. If anything like that did exist it's probably stored in some Monogram archive. Since Warner Bros now has the rights to a lot of Monogram properties I don't know how even looking at some of this old stuff is going to be possible.

John S.

Another thought. Maybe you should ask Steve O. of this board for help. He is very knowledgeable about the workings of the major studios. Post a question to him and see what he says. Good luck

John S.