Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Off Topic But Hollywood History

I have gotten Carla Laemmle's biography (see below from my Carla Laemmle Page) and it's a good read.
Is it worth $25 a copy?
To be honest, it's 215 pages of slightly larger than average print and I found several typos and it does have two of what you might call artistic photographs(one is Ms. Laemmle topless).
But $25?
Yes, IMHO, especially if you check into discount sellers like www.oldies.com ($19.95)!

Virginia

*Maven now has her hot little hands on Carla Laemmle's biography Among the Rugged Peaks: An Intimate Biography of Carla Laemmle by Rick Atkins! An extra dividend is a bookplate with Ms. Laemmle's autograph on page one.
It's a trade paperback (as in larger than the standard paperback at $25) with letters from La Belle Carla and photographs from her own collections . . . not to mention the background she provides to Universal Studios, Hollywood in general . . . . You all get the idea!
The 215 pages of text and pictures include an appendix that lists her stage and screen credits under each name that Ms. Laemmle used during her career.
The reader gets lots of goodies from stories about her Uncle Carl and Cousin Carl, Jr., running Universal Studios through the making of Night and Day (1946) with Cary Grant and on from there!
So get your copy, snacks at hand, sodas on ice, the phone off the metaphorical hook, the doorbell muffled and . . . .
Enjoy a ride with Carla Laemmle down the rugged peaks of Hollywood!

*Among the Rugged Peaks: An Intimate Biography of Carla Laemmle by Rich Atkins; Midnight Marquee; February, 2009.