Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
America's Answer to Australia's Melbourne Cup

Anybody have a nomination, as it were, for movies that celebrate horses and/or horseracing to add to my list in honor of the Triple Crown Race beginning with today's Kentucky Derby?!

How did that ringer get in there?!

Virginia

Re: America's Answer to Australia's Melbourne Cup

Dear Virginia,

And what a race it was!

I am sure that you included the recent "Seabiscuit" on your list. There is an interesting connection to San Diego with regard to that famous horse, by the way. On August 12, 1938 (less than a week after the passing of Warner Oland), a match race took place at Del Mar Race Track between Seabiscuit and Ligoroti. See: http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/08/09/sports/horseracing/z2030f514d08baeb18825749f006773d1.txt

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: America's Answer to Australia's Melbourne Cup

Rush--TYSM! I'll try to work it in, not to mention trying to make the chat room tonight!

Speaking of which . . . we are fine and fairly dry today after weekend storms. Ironically, I was watching the Derby when one of the reporters talked to Jerry Jones, owner of the team, about a hit to the practice field in Valley View (Irving). . . .

They are still trying to figure out whether it was 60 - 70 mph winds or a tornado that caused the tent-like building they used for inclimate weather practice to get mangled during the storm.

There were some injuries and, as of now, one gentleman was paralyzed from the waist down. They were very lucky there weren't more because this was a training camp for their new draftees and there were reporters and cameramen all over the place.

And we still have rain days tomorrow, Wednesday and later in the week.

She-Who-Is-Still-Wet-Behind-the-Ears