Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Birthday Tribute to Warner Oland

Dear Steve,

A wonderful idea.

A start would be to go to tcm.com and seek out any "contact us" links. I know that they have a way to "suggest films," and that could also be of help (we have that link at our Bulletin Board). It is possible that they plan any such celebrations/tributes far in advance, and, we may be too late as it is for Mr. Oland's approaching birthday on October 3. However, we can still try, of course! If not this year, maybe it can happen next year.

Sincerely,
Rush

Rush -- Thank you for your quick reply. Because TCM programs their film showings several months in advance, I jumped on this idea.

This morning, I phoned TCM and spoke with a woman about my suggestion. I was told that viewers do not program the movies shown on TCM. Viewers can only suggest films to be shown. The films need to be in the TCM library.

Shortly after this phone call, I posted my Oland Birthday Tribute recommendation. If you go to TCM, and click on "Suggest a Movie," you will find my suggestion. "Suggest a Movie" is located in the top right corner on TCM's home page. Click on the pages until you find my suggestion. Look for BIRTHDAY TRIBUTE TO WARNER OLAND with the posting date of 5/19/09.

In order to make this happen, I strongly recommend that other CC Family members do the same thing I did. It's very simple to do. Just "click" on "Suggest a Movie." The space provided allows one to type out as many movies as you wish. One does not have to enter each title separately. Give it a try. If I can do this, so can you.

Let's see how much influence the Charlie Chan Family has with Turner Classic Movies. Hey gang, Warner Oland deserves a film tribute.

Dear Steve,

I just posted a suggestion ("Daughter of the Dragon") at TCM. Of course, I also mentioned that a tribute during Oland's birthday would be fitting.

As Steve noted above, the process only takes a few minutes, and, should we make this something of a collective goal, TCM just might take notice and honor Warner Oland on his birthday with a few movies from their vault.

Steve, let's bring this up at the next Chat, as well...yes?

Sincerely,
Rush

Hey Rush. I just read your Oland film suggestion to TCM. Thank you so much.

Now for the rest of the Chan family. Come on gang. Let's tell TCM how much we think of Warner Oland. Nobody deserves a birthday tribute more than Mr. Oland.

Please remember, if it wasn't for his wonderful portrayal of Charlie Chan, we wouldn't be here. There would be no film series.

Please remember that TCM programs their film schedule about four to five months out from the present. Now is the time to send your Oland film suggestion to TCM. Show your support !!!

I dood it.

I posted about Daughter of the Dragon and Old Francisco (with Anna May Wong, the latter beign perfect for their Silent Sunday Night Movies) plus Oland in any of his Fu Manchu and Charlie Chan movies.

Forgot to mention his birthday but I otherwise tried to cover Warner Olands bases!

Virginia

Dear Virginia,

Very good! Maybe we can announce this idea of Steve's at the next Chat. If you, or anyone else has the time, perhaps we can also tell the good folks over at the charliechan.net Message Board/

Sincerely,
Rush

Steve and Rush:

I dood it!

Virginia

Rush and Virginia -- Due to my work schedule, I will not be able to join the CC family movie viewing on Monday. Please feel free to talk up the Warner Oland Birthday Tribute on TCM.

So far, we have three postings. If we can get a total of ten postings to TCM, that should make an impression. If we can give them 20 recommendations for an Oland Tribute, that would blow them away.

When submitting your recommendation to TCM, remember to mention that it's for Warner Oland's birthday, which is Saturday, Oct. 3, 2009. Do It for Charlie !!!