Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chan Speakie Chinese

Dear Steve,

Your friend's help with this will be very welcome! This would be something that we could easily add to the information here.

At this moment, I recall the scene in "The Black Camel" where Chan loosely translates what the cook has said to him as, something to the effect that he has gone on strike and will not be able to cook for the assembled guests ad Shelah Fane's Waikiki beach house.

I think that Chan's kids, Tommy and Iris, state something in "Charlie Chan in the Secret Service" to which Mr. Chan tells someone: "It's all Chinese to me."

In "Dead Men Tell," the ship's cook/hand explains to Chan about his playing of the ocarina, I believe.

There are more that I cannot recall specifically at this moment (as I sit in my classroiom while my students take the California Standards Test). One thing from last night's movie, "Charlie Chan at the Circus," would be fun to know: what did Su Toy say to Lee when she was angry with him for locking her in the cage when Caesar the Ape was on the loose? Maybe we could not repeat her words, here!

Also from "Circus" is what Charlie Chan writes as he signs Colonel Tim's autograph book. It would be fun to have that translated, as well, I think.

As I mentioned, there are more examples. Does anyone else have any further suggestions?

Sincerely,
Rush

Also: In CC in Honolulu, I would love to know what
is being said when the family first views the new arrival "wrong flavor"! I'm sure it's not the rumor I've heard: "I told Birmingham to stay away from Ling!"

According to Peter X. Feng, Associate Professor of film, ethnic, and cultural studies at the University of Delaware, actor Philip Ahn speaks Korean, not Chinese in a Charlie Chan movie.

It's in the film "Charlie Chan in Honolulu" (1938) -- where Philip Ahn is supposed to be Charlie Chan's son-in-law. There's a scene where he gets very excited and speaks in Chinese, except it's Korean.

[source: Twitch - TCM: Asian Images In Film - Interview with Peter X. Feng.]