Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Charlie Chan reference in "Burke's Law"

Just watched "Who Killed Everybody" episode of "Burke's Law" and they made 4 references to Charlie Chan movies in the last 10 minutes of the episode.

GS

Re: Charlie Chan reference in "Burke's Law"

Dear GS,

Thank you for that information! It would be interesting to document as many Charlie Chan references in other movies or on television, whether spoof or "tribute." I know that there have been many. And, if anyone else comes across any of the others, the same information you provided, the series title as well as the show title, would be appreciated, both by Yours Truly and many others, I am sure.

Thank you, again..

Sincerely,
Rush

In cause any of you get "American Life" network on our cable system - "Burke's Law" will air tonight at 6pm EDT and it should the the "Who Killed Everyone" episode. Get your recorders ready if you want to catch the Chan references near the end.

GS

Here's (more or less) what was said in the Burke episode. I'm not the best transcriptionist and I took it off the television - no DVD.
==================================================

Before any Chan reference, Burke speaks a possible “Chan-ism” with pidgin English
Burke: wise man hide leaf in forest

A little later:

Burke: Killer always returns to the scene of the crime.
Tim: Did they teach you that at the Police academy?
Burke: No, I learned that from old Charlie Chan movies.

Later still:

Tim: Who do you think did it, Captain?
Burke: Nev’r ask a quextion in “Charlie chan movie. (in bad pidgin English)

Later still:

Les: (referring to suspects) 3 down and one to go.
Burke: It better be one or my theory and Charlie Chan go out the window

And finally:

Les: Charlie Chan couldn’t have done it better.
Burke: (to Les with slight bow) Thank you number one son.

===================================================
GS