Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Warner Oland Tribute Confirmed by TCM

WHOO HOO!!

Virginia

Dear Steve,

WONDERFUL NEWS! Thank you for, first, the idea, and next, for following through to the great extent that you did. I know all the work you performed to get this project off the ground so quickly and, in the end, successfully!

Well done!

Sincerely,
Rush

How about that!!! I'm just as surprised, and grateful, as everybody else. TCM is going to show a film that honors "our" Warner Oland. And Oland plays a Chinese character to boot.

Rush, I thank you for your support through the use the Charlie Chan Family website. I am grateful to the members of the Chan family who supported our Warner Oland birthday tribute. Now come the difficult part.

Are we going to watch this Oland film as a Chan Family website event? Because of the late showing of "Tell It to the Marines," it may be a bit difficult to get us all together.

For Sunday, Oct. 6th, the country is still on Daylight Savings Time. Silent Sunday begins at 6:00 PM in Hawaii, which means that it will air at 9:00 PM on the West coast and midnight on the East coast.

Maybe this could be the Charlie Chan Family Slumber Movie Party. Anybody have any ideas on how our group can watch this film together?

Great news!

As you mentioned parts of it were shot in my home town, San Diego. There was a scene shot at the Santa Fe Depot and other scenes shot at the Marine Corps Recruitment Depot (MCRD). MCRD no longer exists, but I remember going there when I was a kid with my family to go to the commissary and other stores. When I first saw Tell It to the Marines I was astonished. It looked almost exactly the same. I'd walked in Lon Chaney's footsteps. An eerie feeling.

Mark,

Thanks for sharing a great story about "Tell It to the Marines" with us. If you have any pictures of the filming locations, please send them to Rush. He will post them on this website.

It's fun to know that both Lon Chaney and Warner Oland worked in the San Diego area for the making of this film.

Cheers !!!

Steve