Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Tell It to the Marines" in San Diego

Is there anybody, in the San Diego area, interested in researching the filming sites of the Lon Chaney-Warner Oland movie "Tell It to the Marines" (1926)?

According to author Michael Blake, TITTM was filmed at the Marine Corps Recruiting Depot, San Diego. There was a big celebration on the first day of filming. The filming lasted for eight-and-a-half weeks.

According to the IMDB website, production occurred between 7 June 1926 to 3 August 1926.

There should be articles in the San Diego newspapers, especially with a big "kick-off" party. Both Chaney and Oland should have been there.

If anybody is interested in researching this film, I can provide advise in the manner of research. This should be fairly easy to find.

Thank you for assisting Warner Oland in San Diego.

Steve

Re: "Tell It to the Marines" in San Diego

Dear Steve,

When my summer arrives, I will have a little more time to help out with the research you mention. MCRD (Marine Corps Recruit Depot) was decommissioned in the 1990s. It has undergone some extensive renovation as a commercial property, and is now called "Liberty Station." However, the original "footprint" of the complex is very much as it has been for decades.

Sincerely,
Rush