Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New visitor, and Sidney Toler

Hi Ted:

I was also introduced to Charlie Chan via WCVB-TV's Five All Night programming back in the mid-70's. George Fennel was the host of the Charlie Chan Film Festival, which aired early morning during the week at 1:00 AM, I believe. It started off with an Oriental motif featuring a sketch of Chan. The 1st movie I watched was Charlie Chan's Secret with Warner Oland, and from there I was hooked. That was and remains my favorite of the series. Glad to meet someone from Boston who enjoyed the series as much as I did.

Thanks, Roy. George Fennell....I never would have remembered his name without your reminder, but it sure brings back happy memories of late-night TV viewing in my misspent youth.

Dear Ted,

WELCOME!

I greatly enjoyed reading your thoughts and your recollections of Charlie Chan on television. It is always fun to note how people came to "know" Mr. Chan.

You are not in the minority when it comes to your feelings about Sidney Toler's portrayal of Charlie Chan. Actually, it is very even among fans of Chan as to who was the "better" Charlie Chan between the two. Personally, while I lean towards Warner Oland fairly heavily, I truly enjoy (make that LOVE) Mr. Toler's Chan. Sometimes red wine, sometimes white...both are excellent. Actually, I feel that Toler's Charlie Chan may have better fit the changing times, both culturally and historically, that were building as we stood on the threshold of the 1940s.

Please consider this humble invitation to join with us for our Monday evening chat sessions during which we watch and discuss a specific Charlie Chan movie. We are currently going through all existing Chan films chronologically, and, with last night, have just entered the Sidney Toler era. Next Monday we will be sharing "Charlie Chan in Reno."

Thank you, again, Ted, and hopefully, you will be a regular contributor.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Thanks, Rush! I'm afraid the Monday night chats don't mesh well with my work schedule, but I hope to attend one of these weeks, even if I join late. "Charlie Chan in Reno" is great fun. I appreciate your insights to the broader views of the group, as well as your own take on the different Chans.