Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Birthday Party!

I'm a day late but I have struesel-topped pound cupcakes for everybody and punch and lemonade to go around!!

The recipes are over in ready-to-print page (see the website link) and can be modified any way you want!

Virginia

One hundred and twenty-five years old. My goodness. Why Mr. Biggers is amazing. He doesn't look a day over 98. (Cue the "laugh-track," or should I say "groan-track"?)

For my current project, I am reading "The Black Camel" for the first time. What a wonderful read it is. The writing is descriptive in character and location. My imagination is running wild.

Old Honolulu comes to my mind. Images of Warner Oland, Bela Lugosi, and the cast filming scenes at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. The crew of the Fox film company lugging those huge motion-picture cameras out to Kailua Beach to film the opening scene of the movie.

Oahu in the late 1920s - early 1930s. Mr. Biggers captured this wonderful island in spirit and time. Those were the golden days in Hawaii.

If only Mr. Biggers was around to see the admiration people still feel for his creation, including our humble little website family. But he knew. He received his share of fan mail. During his lifetime, Biggers saw how the public was infatuated with his beloved detective, both in print and at the movies.

On Monday, let us all lift a glass and toast Earl Derr Biggers. Three cheers for Mr. Biggers!!! Happy Days. Long live Charlie Chan!!!

Steve:

Not sure if you got "The Black Camel" #4 reprint off the local over priced big box book store shelf. Previously I got #1 & #2, but book reprint #3 was missing. I think they are reprinting all 6 Biggers stories.

Like you, I am enjoying the read (just made it up to Sheila getting stabbed), and have visions of the movie floating around in my head.

If I remember correctly, the character in the movie (Jessop) was also Bela's most able assistant in Dracula.

Hope to check into the movie tonight.

Best regards to all, #1StepSon