Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Later Chan films on dvd

I had gotten the Charlie Chan Silver Collection a few years ago, but Discs 13 and 14 are no longer available at the Classic Theater site. Those two discs contain the films with Roland Winters. You can also find some other TV shows from the '50 here:

http://www.theclassictheater.com/charliechan.html

I found discs 13 and 14 are included at Old-Time Movie Classics but not sold separately:

http://www.oldtimemovieclassics.com/Charlie_Chan/Charlie_Chan.html?gclid=CKvZiZmDxZwCFdVL5QodY3yJnQ

Joan

Dear Mikael,

Warner Brothers holds the rights for the films that you mention. They are reportedly going to release these and other Charlie Chan movies in the near future (a year or so). The problem that they have had is the locating of suitable prints for all of the films. It may be that, if they cannot locate suitable material, that they will offer DVDs for those pictures that have acceptable prints that need little restoration.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Charlie Chan TV Show

Dear Mikael,

I realized that you also had a question about the Charlie Chan TV show from the 1950s. The show was called "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan," and starred J. Carrol Naish as Chan and James Hong as his Number One Son. All 39 episodes are still available, I believe, from Old Time Radio, U.K. We have a link to their site in our Links section.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Charlie Chan TV Show

Rush Glick
Dear Mikael,

I realized that you also had a question about the Charlie Chan TV show from the 1950s. The show was called "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan," and starred J. Carrol Naish as Chan and James Hong as his Number One Son. All 39 episodes are still available, I believe, from Old Time Radio, U.K. We have a link to their site in our Links section.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick
Rush, Do You Know Who Owns The Rights To The TV Series Or Is It In The Public Domain?

Dear Mikael

Rush is correct. Warner Brothers holds the rights to the final 11 Chan films made by Monogram Pictures. Warners has announced a set of Monogram Chan's early in 2010 made from the original nitrate negatives. They promise that the films will look great. Whether they are including all the films or some I don't yet know as Warners hasn't yet announced the titles but you won't have long to wait. Steve O. of this board told me in a post that studios usually announce titles around 90 days before release so stay tuned.

John S.