Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Our Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan in the Secret Service"

Hello Rush,

Thank you for providing us with an introduction to the "new" Charlie Chan at Monogram Pictures. I agree with you. These low-budget films are worth viewing because they take the adventures of Charlie Chan in a different direction.

It's great to see the familiar cast of characters: Sidney Toler and Victor Sen Yung. They're still in character, but they have changed a bit. The country had changed a bit too.

When the Monogram Chans began, we, the USA, were deep into World War II. The world was changing, and so was Charlie Chan. The fresh-faced youth of America was going off to war. The average "Joes" and "Janes" on the home-front were sacrificing household items for the war effort.

The Monogram films have a different feel to them from the 20th Century-Fox films. The movies had changed from the beautiful, elegant, exotic travels of the Oland Chans to a "Naked City" type of inner-city crime scene.

The Monogram Chans are almost film noir, but not quite. When we get into the Roland Winter period, one can sense a darker Chan mystery. The playfulness is gone. The plots are serious.

Thank you for sharing the wonderful photograph of Sidney Toler. This is a fine portrait of a great character actor.

See you at the movies.

Re: Charlie Chan in Secret Service

Speaking of Virginia's beverage cart . . . I have posted my grandmother's recipe for turkey dressing.

Yes, I know I'm about two and a half months early but tonight's movie IS Secret Service . . . in Washington, D.C. . . .too often the land of stuffed turkeys!

But not to worry! I have also posted a simple recipe for cinnamon rolls!

And don't forget that all recipes are archived at http://tommenterprises.tripod.com/id131.com by title and ready to be pulled up and printed out!

Virginia