Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Rob Scheider as Asian Stereotype

Tonight I watch a film entitled "I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry" (2007) co-starring Adam Sandler and Kevin James. It's a comedy about two New York firefighters pretending to be gay for insurance purposes. It's a average film with a few funny scenes.

This is film is filled with many stereotype of characters, including a Japanese minister. He is portrayed by comedian Rob Scheider. Let me quote film author "plantonrules," whose comments are posted on imbd.com. He says ...

" ... how in the heck did Rob Schneider get away with such an awful and offensive performance?! Having him play a Japanese man (badly) hearkens to the days of Sidney Toler and Warner Oland (both Westerns) [Plantonrules" got Oland's origin wrong] playing 'Charlie Chan.' I thought those days of having non-Asians play Asians (very broadly) were over -- one of the positive aspects of political correctness. ... he still doesn't look the least bit Japanese and his character was MORE over the top than Peter Loore's 'Mr. Moto.' "

Plantonrules goes on about actors Marlon Brando and Mickey Rooney playing Japanese characters in two popular films from the 1960s.

Plantonrules concludes his review with ... "With Schneider's Moe Howard-like wig, thick glasses, and buck teeth, he simply is a walking stereotype."

Well, here you are folks. An American actor portraying an Asian character in a contemporary film that is far more offensive (in Plantonrules' opinion) than Warner Oland's, Sidney Toler's, and Roland Winter's portrayal of Charlie Chan.

The next time somebody criticizes Oland's, Toler's, or Winters' Charlie Chan, just point to this film. Adam Sanders should have known better, but "Chuck & Larry" is considered "classic comedy" for today's movie-going public.

Give me a break. In Adam Sanders' movies, I've always found that some group of people are being made fun of. Has the Asian community attacked Sanders about this character in this film? I don't know.

Charlie Chan is a reflection of a certain style of acting from a certain time period. In these politically-correct times, is anybody looking at this film?

Food for thought.

Re: Rob Scheider as Asian Stereotype

Dear Steve,

Great points, all. I have heard nothing as far as protests from the groups that hold Charlie Chan with such disdain. Perhaps they lay off today's usually politically correct Hollywood. Or, they may simply shy away from going after living actors. etc., especially those usually in the Hollywood "mainstream."

I have no plans to see the film in question, and, I would certainly be offended - and embarrassed - if what is described is close to reality. There is a huge difference between a purposeful "stereotyping" of a member of a specific community in a movie and a PERCEIVED "stereotyping" that comes out of a performance or production that honestly sought an honorable, positive, indeed heroic, portrayal.

Sincerely,
Rush