Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Charlie Chan's Hawaii

Dear Gilbert,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new blog page. It looks great and is filled with wonderful historical information about Chang Apana. I'm glad that you created it.

Your 1982 research was groundbreaking in relationship to Old Hawaii history. I have never read your UH thesis, but I have read the newspaper article you refer to. It is a wonderful acknowledgment of your hard work and research of Chang Apana. But there are errors by the author of the article in regards to the old newspaper articles. I have checked and double-checked. Like yourself, I dug through several archives of old Honolulu newspapers to get the correct facts.

You deserve the credit as one of the first contemporary historian who made the connection between Apana and Chan. You did your research prior to the invention of the personal home-computer. An amazing feat in itself.

In 1976, Star-Bulletin writer Susan Yim did similar research on the Chang Apana-Charlie Chan connection. She put it together too. In 1955, another local writer did the same thing. As researchers, we learn from one another. Some of us are kind enough to share their research.

As you state on your blog page, there are a number of similarities between the fictional character of Charlie Chan and the real person of Chang Apana. But there are differences too.

I believe that the physical appearance of Charlie Chan is based on the physical appearance of author Earl Derr Biggers, and not Chang Apana. Furthermore, I believe that the personality of Chan is based on the personality of Biggers, and not Apana. Mr. Apana may have been the model for Charlie Chan, but Earl Derr Biggers was the heart and soul of Charlie Chan.

There are amazing links between these two characters, Chang Apana and Charlie Chan. Detective Apana was as much of a character as Inspect Chan was. One of the more interesting aspects between these characters was their friendship towards one another.

Though my research, I have located articles and photographs which show the friendship between Earl Derr Biggers and Chang Apana. Yes, they met in Honolulu, circa 1928. Also, I have located similar material related to the friendship between actor Warner Oland and Chang Apana. They met in 1931.

When visiting Honolulu, both Biggers and Oland spent time with Apana. These three men met one another and enjoyed each others company. All three men were professions in their respective fields.

In closing, I wish you the best in the publishing of your Chang Apana book. You should have done this years ago. You would have saved me years of research in cold, dark, damp vaults.

Sincerely with Aloha,

Steve Fredrick
Historian/Tour Guide
The Charlie Chan Mystery Tour

Re: Charlie Chan's Hawaii

I'm curious as to how you came up with the name of the Chan's daughter as it differs with the info I have had for years. She is know as Marianne Quon playing Iris Chan in Charlie Chan in the Secret Service as far as I know. Can you elaborate on your knowledge of her being call Lai Yee?

MysteryMan