Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Prep Work?

Dear Virginia,

You made some good observations about how our Monday evening Chats happen. Yes, they are rather "spontaneous" at times, I agree. I look at it this way. Imagine a family getting together to enjoy a movie that they all hold in some manner of fond esteem. They would, at times, focus on the details of the film as the picture progresses. At other times, the discussion might meander a bit, although it would come back to the movie. Sometimes, even "personal issues" might momentarily pop up.

I think that this fairly accurately describes our Charlie Chan Family evenings together. We have, I believe, found a certain "comfort zone" that most participants seem to enjoy. Looking at the numbers of participants that have been visiting our humble and sometimes bursting Chat Room, it seems safe to assume that many are pleased with our current "format." I think that what we have going on currently, with all of the sound effects (I blushingly admit that I enjoy clicking on those and "cut loose" a bit!), side discussions, etc., is a community experience not unlike that exhibited by aficionados of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show."

Regarding the moderating of our Chat evenings, my main thought is that we have an enjoyable, fun time together. From time to time, I note what is happening onscreen, bringing focus back to the film for those so inclined to enjoy some detail, fact, or conjecture. Sometimes, it is fun just to focus a little on the wonderful period slang that we are hearing, I feel, whether it be the "jive" uttered by Iris and Tommy Chan in "Charlie Chan in the Secret Service" or that heard from Inspector Nelson in "Charlie Chan on Broadway."

Of course, any suggestions are greatly welcomed and are most appreciated. There is always something we can do to make our evenings more informative and, yes, fun. I notice that our Chat Room seems to have voice capability. We could try that, but, with a recent average of 15 or more members, this could be confusing! (Recall when we used "voice" in the "old days" when there were usually only a half-dozen of us!) Maybe we can focus more on the movie we are viewing, and, I can work on that, while not pressuring people to follow that lead. I don't know. It is, after all cursory analysis, an ongoing work in progress that has evolved over about nine years, now. (Can you believe that?)

Humble suggestions for anyone wishing to "prepare" for our Chats - fully optional, of course! First, preview the movie, if time permits. When watching the film during our Chat, certain scenes/occurances can be anticipated. Second, look over the information provided for each picture here at our website. Third, read information offered in any of the "Big Three" books on Charlie Chan movies.

Well, enough ramblings from a teacher with a little time available for "same" while waiting for our Open House to begin this evening! I hope that at least some small fraction of my verbiage has offered some food for thought.

Sincerely,
Rush

Re: Prep Work?

I make it a point to watch 2 Chans a week as I enjoy them. I don't take notes or anything anymore...Just set back at home and enjoy the films(see image to left), munch on some popcorn, nachos, and a cool refreshing drink. I have enjoyed the last few films we watched much more over the years, maybe because I haven't watch them as much as the FOX Big films. I really (and embarrassed to say) enjoy the Winters films lots now. Now if I could only get the "Lost 4". Look forward to next week. And I agree with Virginia. Rush has such vast knowledge on the site...one can spend oodles and oodles of (yep I know you thought I'd say BUTTER) time reading.

MysteryMan