Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
"Gran Torino" and Charlie Chan

On Friday, Nov. 6th, I viewed a widescreen DVD version of "Gran Torino" (2008 WB) produced, directed, and starring Clint Eastwood. This is a powerful film with great acting, fine camera work, and a social topic relevant to America today: racism.

At the 52:45 video mark (chapter 13), Korean War veteran Walt Kowalski (Eastwood) lectures a young Asian boy (Bee Vang) about dating girls. As a man who speaks his mind, Walt makes derogatory comments about the other Asian boys in the room. At this point, there is a reference to Charlie Chan.

One may read a transcript of the dialogue and the Charlie Chan reference by visiting www.imdb.com. Enter "Gran Torino" as the title, then click on 'Memorable Quotes' along the side-bar. The quote in midway down the page.

"Gran Torino" is the type of film that makes one think about the subject matter. Is this the way we think about our neighbors? Is this the way the American public think about the character of Charlie Chan today?

This is one the best films I have seen in a while. Hats off to Clint Eastwood for taking on such a politically-charged subject.

Please be aware that this film is rated "R" due to language and violence.

Re: "Gran Torino" and Charlie Chan

Dear Steve,

I have not seen this film, so I can only comment based on your description and the "memorable quotes" that I just took a look at. It seems that the chartacter was simply throwing out a couple of names well-known to the era that he came from, Charlie Chan and The Three Stooges. I would hope that this would not serve to reawaken any further "I told you so!" anti-Chan sentiment via the PC crowd, and, as the movie was released in 2008, it seems this was not so. Language, indeed! Judging by the quotes I read, there is some "salty" talk, apparently mostly used by the main character - to show him in a less-than-possitive light?

I sense that Mr. Eastwood is not - by Hollywood "standards," - a slave to political correctness, so perhaps this film was not preachy employing a one-dimensional Archie Bunker-style character. Am I correct in that?

Thank you for the information!

Sincerely,
Rush

I have also seen this film and absolutely loved it.

Mr. Eastwood has, I believe, gone on record as saying society has gotten too PC. His character in this film is definitely not Archie Bunker. Prejudiced, yes, but racist, no. The point of this film is to show how Clint's character evolves in his beliefs and attitudes.

The Chan reference is very brief and meant to provide some of the comic relief that this film has.

Steve,
Agreed. This most powerful and ultimately, poignant film unites rather than separates the races and nationalities. It is an excellent film I would recommend.

Susan