Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Adventures Of Charlie Chan TV Series. Legit DVD release?

Dear Sam,

YES! You are correct. While searching for information regarding the new Fox Charlie Chan collection (a re-packaging of their earlier releases which will be noted at this site) I came across the complete set (39 episodes) of "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan." This is indeed a "legitimate" release from The Nostalgia Merchant. I, too, purchased VHS releases from them in the late 1980s. Here is the address that will take you to their site, and, in particular, to the page that shows "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan":

http://www.nostalgiamerchant.biz/Charlie_Chan.htm

This set can be purchased for $36.99.

Sincerely,
Rush

Hi Sam,

According to this thread I found:

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/27695/t/Nostalgia-Merchant-Video-revived-.html

the new website appears to be a "grey market" site where an individual has appropriated the use of the logo and name of the former company that existed 20 years ago.

Some of the offerings on this site are clearly not "legal" so buyer beware.

Steve O.,

Thank you for the link to the reviews about the "new" Nostalgia Merchant. I read many interesting comments from many "posters". I recommend visiting The Nostalgai Merchant website as I did. Since 9/30/09, this company has been "stamped" with a BBB Accredited Business certification.

Like so many other video collectors, I bought a number of VHS tapes from The Nostalgia Merchant during the 1980s. I still have them in my collection.

As for the TV series "The New Adventures of Charlie Chan" (1957-58), I purchased my DVD collection from ...

www.movietimeentertainment.com. Price: $24.50.

The DVDs of the Chan TV series arrived on this past Saturday, so I have only viewed the first episode and a bit of the second.

The picture quality is similar to the Winters DVDs that I purchased from The Vintage Theatre.

The quality varies from episode to episode. Some episodes are clear and sharp while others are fuzzy with high-and-low audio levels.

Based on my viewing of one episode, Chan fans will be disappointed with this TV series starring J. Carrol Naish.

Review: "New Adventures" plays like a crime drama from the 1950s. Sort of a poor man's version of "Dragnet" with Naish instead of Jack Webb. There is no mystery or suspense to TV's Charlie Chan.

Charcter and Story. The episode that I viewed was set in Los Angeles and at a beach in Malibu. There are no references to Chan being from Hawaii, the Chan family, or to Chan being a police detective.

There is no mention of Chan being a famous detective with international travels. Other characters in the TV series refer to him as "Mr. Chan". He's just another L.A. cop.

Mr. Naish's interpretation of Charlie Chan is cold and lacks any warmth. I'm surprised because Naish was a great character actor. He plays Chan in a very straight manner. There is no fun to his character. No warmth or humor like with Mr. Oland's or Mr. Toler's portrayal of Chan. Sorry, Charlie.

Do you recall if Charlie Chan says "Ace Number One Son" in any of the tv episodes?