Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Charlie Chan Film with Lucy Liu

Dear Chan,

Welcome!

The project that you mention has been rumored to be in various stages of development for a number of years, now. As far as will the movie be a "good" thing should it eventually be made, we can only guess at this point. The fear of many Charlie Chan fans is that such a movie, given the climate in Hollywood today, would bear little resemblance or pay little tribute to the character so many of us know and love. Hopefully, the film will not be a series of martial arts fight with a healthy (unhealthy?) dose of political correctness.

On the other hand, approached with an open mind, and a keen view toward the lore surrounding the original Chan series, this could be a pretty good picture. Lucy Liu, as a granddaughter of Charlie Chan could carry on a rich, established tradition and also send it in a newer creative direction. Hope springs eternal. Hopes can be dashed, though, so, perhaps it will be best to hope for the best while expecting otherwise.

Regarding you expressed desire to take part in the movie, my first question would be about any acting experience you may have. If you have acted, you might seek out an agent who could do the necessary leg work for you to have an audition. Short of that, you could, perhaps try to contact 20th Century-Fox and see if you might be put in touch with their casting department. Even if you were to be considered as an "extra," and that would be something, would it not?

The best of luck to you, and Happy New Year to you and yours.

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Rush,

Thank you for your advice and kind words of encouragement. Your response was balanced, and I appreciated that. Through my own life experiences, I have learned that you cannot make everyone happy.
I, personally, would like to see this film become a reality...even with the complications that come with it. There are films that people love - and films that people hate. Folks have their reasonings for feeling the way they do on certain issues. We just have to listen and respect to what the other person has to say- whether we think it is right or wrong - and how do you determine what is right or wrong? Through history, we have seen that right turned wrong & wrong turned right. It is all a learning experience.

And to answer your question - yes, having a slice of pizza after a hard days work is better than nothing. Extra mushrooms please!!!

Thanks Again,
Chan

Dear Chan,

Well said. Please do not be a stranger to this humble Message Board, and please feel free to keep us posted regarding any contact with 20th Century-Fox and the proposed "Charlie Chan" project. At the very least, such a film will serve to keep the name Charlie Chan in the public consciousness.

Happy New Year...

Sincerely.
Rush

I for one didn't know there was a Chan film for the new age in consideration, and with Lucy Liu involved. Can anyone care to elaborate further on who the characters are? To me, they should keep the "male" lead forumla first off anyway. Surely there are some actors who could resemble Warner Oland a bit or even Toler.