Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Lost Charlie Chan films in period newspapers

I must say, I love news.google.com's archive search!

Here are some articles mentioning the lost film "The Chinese Parrot," including some advertisements. Google News' optical character recognition occasionally incorporates ads, but generally you have to look for them.

It might be nice for Chan fans to compile a bibliography of news coverage of (at least) the lost films in a proper citation style (mine is sloppy below), if nobody else has done that already, as well as to ad images of the ads to the website!

"Mystery Film to be Featured at Strand" Berkeley Daily Gazette June 1, 1928 p6
notes acting style; also small ad in far right column

"Marion Nixon at Tivoli" c.1 p5 Miami Daily News and Metropolis May 22, 1928 also small ad in c 5.

Ottawa Citizen Nov 19, 1927 p.27
"'The Chinese Parrot' Comes to Centre Featuring Marian Nixon" c1-2
"Los Angeles Writer Boosts Centre Film. 'The Chinese Parrot' is Rare Combination He Says" c3-5.
Large Ad c1-4
"Paul Leni Directed Centre Feature Film. Famous Continental Producer Shows His Skills" c5.

"At the Theaters" Cape Girardeau Southeast Missourian February 25, 1928 p6 c.2 "perhaps the greatest" by Nixon

"Amusements. Marian Nixon has good part in picture" Gettysburg Times March 13, 1928 p2 c5 "height of her beauty and popularity [...] exceptional histrionic ability [...] walks away with flying colors."

"I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library." —Jorge Luis Borges

Re: Lost Charlie Chan films in period newspapers

I've had a page of text and pictures that may go along with this on my Charlie Chan Annex. I can't tell because: 1) The print is too small. 2) I can't afford it!

Need I say I'm all for as much research on the Chan books and movies as we can manage?!

Virginia

Re: Lost Charlie Chan films in period newspapers

If you mean the print size on Google news, you can change that, and not all the articles cost money; many are free. Of those that do cost money, some of them might be available for free to people with access to library databases or by interlibrary loan.