Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: They mysterious Edwin Luke

Wow that must have been something to meet them Rush. If you could, you might want to consider doing an interview with them for a publication. I bet Classic Images or Filmfax or one of the many other types would be willing to publish it. Thanks much for the info!

Rush I put in one of my old serial discs the other night "Secret Agent X-9", the 1945 version. Benson Fong has a short role at the beginning but Keye Luke has a major role. In the first 3 minutes of the show, Benson Fong is in the laboratory and the young man playing his assistant sure looks like Edwin Luke. I looked very hard at this young man and I am almost sure it is Edwin

There is an Eddie Luke shown in the cast list as un-named and uncredited. I am wondering if anyone else has looked at this movie and maybe came to the same conclusion as I have. I will sit back and watch for some input from some of you honorable and very able people on this site.

Thanks

Mike

Dear Mike,

You might be correct! I will need to rent this serial and see what I can see. The "Eddie Luke" reference could be a clincher. I checked that name at IMDb and see that there are 10 films listed, including "Secret Agent X-9." They all fit chronologically, and you may have made something of a discovery, here! Thank you. Let's see what we can find...

Sincerely,
Rush

Good guess Mike, but the lab assistant in Chapters 1-3 is NOT Edwin Luke. The part of Kichi, the lab assistant to Benson Fong's character, is played by actor Leon Lontoc.

Please remember that Keye Luke was a prominent actor at Universal in 1945. He had played Kato in two Green Hornet serials in the early 1940s. Attention should not be taken away from Mr. Luke, even by his brother. Most likely Edwin Luke/Eddie Luke is an extra in the background during some crowd scenes. All actors with spoken lines are credited at the IMDb website.

In Chapter One, look very carefully at the Asian actors in the background during the fight scene inside the House of Shadows. Look at the Asian actor standing behind Nabura. He is there during the medium shots, but is missing during the wide shots. This may be Edwin Luke/Eddie Luke.

Also, look at the Asian actors playing the Japanese soldiers in the submarine.

Most importantly, listen to the voices of the actors. Please remember that Edwin Luke played a young son of Charlie Chan. His voice was youthful.

Sincerely,

Steve

I did like seeing that Keye Luke had a brother to lend a hand to pop in the series. It would have been nice to have seen Edwin also do something with Warner Oland, but that didn't come about.