Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: New Charlie Chan book

Yes, I think I've offered a fair assessment of the Chan saga--I'm a big of the movies and novels. Thanks! Yunte Huang

Thanks for the heads-up. I just pre-ordered on Amazon.

Best of luck!

Dear Mr. Huang,

Congratulations on your new Charlie Chan book. It is nice to see a book written about Chang Apana and Charlie Chan.

Based on the information I have read at the Norton & Co. website, I have issues with it.

Something is wrong with the cover of your book. If you look closely at the cover of the book, Diamond Head cater is flipped. Somebody (publishing company?) placed a REVERSE green image of Diamond Head on the cover of your book. The tall section of the crater extends to the ocean. The long slope of DH heads inland. Compare the cover image to photographs that can be found on the internet.

According to the Norton & Co. website, Charlie Chan's aphorisms are referred to as Oriental wisdom turned into "soup-alley Chinatown blues." What does this mean?

Another issue I have is the mention of Chang Apana's raids of opium dens. During my years of research about Officer Apana, I have not found any documentation to support his involvement in the raiding of opium dens in Honolulu.

After 16 years of living in Hawaii, I have learned that people of Hawaii take offense to outsiders writing incorrectly about their island, their culture, and their heroes. Police Officer Chang Apana is considered a local hero in Hawaii.

Sincerely,

Steve Fredrick
Historian
Honolulu, Hawaii

Thanks, Steve, for your kind note and most informative reminders. Believe me, I was the first one who had alerted my editor about the "flopping" of Diamond Head. But it turned out that the designer did it for aesthetic reasons (it appeared too slanted with aligned with the words and other images on the cover). But after considering the importance of the iconic image, we have decided to restore the position. What you saw was a version that has not been updated.

As for the other points raised in your email, I can only let the book speak for itself. I'd be most happy to communicate with you again after you, as I hope, will have a chance to examine the book. I'd love to hear what you would make of it.

My very best,
Yunte