Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Scarlet Clue possible setting

My humble apologies if someone has already proposed this, I am just getting back into Chan Fandom after thirty years.

In the Scarlet Clue the eastern seaboard city goes unnamed, but given the date an the suggestion that the Cosmos Radio Centre is beginning to branch into television suggests only three possibilities: NYC, Washington D.C. and Philadelphia, which were the only cities on the eastern seaboard with television licenses in 1945. We can eliminate NYC as this city is referenced as Chan's prior location. Similarly, I feel comfortable eliminating DC as the setting as this is supposedly Chan's base of operations during several films. As a result Philadelphia emerges as a leader, with some additional support. The licensed Philadelphia Station in 1945 was WPTZ which was owned by Philco. Philco was originally founded as the Helios Electric Company. I find the graeco-roman similarities between Cosmos and Helios highly suggestive perhaps even derivative.

Humbly,
Pete Rawlik

Re: Scarlet Clue possible setting

Fascinating research!

Thank you so much!

VIrginia

Re: Scarlet Clue possible setting

Dear Pete,

Thank you so much for the obviously well-considered, thought-out information, and resulting thoughts as to the probable location shown in "The Scarlet Clue." I have to say, this has given me pause to reconsider my original contention that this adventure happened in New York City. However, I now reconsider and humbly accept your suggestion based on the mound of evidence presented!

Again, thank you...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick