Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: TONIGHT's Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan at the Olympics"

Hi everyone there across the Atlantic,

I just wanted to say that last night - though quite late for me - was amazing!

We talked about the Hindenburg blimp and that the fact that it wasn't filled with helium but 'with some other stuff' caused the explosion.
I found the programme on youtube (in German but still...) and would like to post the link here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtCRDD94k0A&feature=related

For those of you who are not THAT familiar with German , here some points of what is said between 3:40 and 4:40:

* the Nazis wanted to show off with everything huge and gigantic --> built the Hindenburg
* very soon controlled the construction of blimps and required that blimps would be used for propaganda trips
* Hitler wanted to demonstrate his power in the US with the swastika on the Hindenburg --> the Americans strongly disliked this idea; so they no longer supported Germany and stopped their deliveries of helium
* 200 000 cubic metres of highly explosive hydrogen was used...

and at the end the widow of a scientist says:
* most likely reason for explosion: static sparking; apparently they had used the wrong painting, so the blimp suffered from static charge during the thunderstorm that delayed their landing for 5 hours
* that was never admitted in public because it would have meant that the 'great nation Germany' had made such a fatal mistake.

Hopefully cu soon!
Stefanie
(the German_viewer)

Re: TONIGHT's Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan at the Olympics"

Stefanie,
I think I can speak for everybody else in the chat room last night:

We usually have fun with our Chan movies and always enjoy greeting newbies to our ranks but you added a very lovely grace note last night.

The only way to make last night even more special is that you could gives us "You are there!" insight to world history, bringing even more to our Olympic viewing.

Wir haben es geliebt.

Danke shoen.

Bitte kommen Sie bald zurück.