Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sidney Toler/Keye Luke together on screen

As we start the Sidney Toler Chan's, in which Keye Luke never appeared, there is ONE film in which Toler and Keye Luke appeared side by side... actually there are 13 films, as it were: the 1942 Universal Serial (13 Chapters) of Smilin' Jack...

Re: Sidney Toler/Keye Luke together on screen

Dear Len,

An interesting movie to say the least. I have seen a few episodes of this 13-part wartime serial.

Given the changes among the major players in the Chan series, it is interesting to watch this 1942 serial from Universal Pictures. Sidney Toler and Keye Luke share several fine scenes together. They work well together.

By 1942, Toler was clearly established in the role of Charlie Chan. He had been playing the role for four years. Enter Keye Luke, the hero's side-kick.

Previously, Mr. Luke had played Kato, a faithful side-kick to action hero 'the Green Hornet'.

When viewing Mr. Toler's performance, it seems that there is a bit of Charlie Chan in his character. Or is it just me?

Steve

Len Freeman
As we start the Sidney Toler Chan's, in which Keye Luke never appeared, there is ONE film in which Toler and Keye Luke appeared side by side... actually there are 13 films, as it were: the 1942 Universal Serial (13 Chapters) of Smilin' Jack...
Is this available on legit DVD (or VHS) or just bootleg DVD?

Sam,

To find the answer to your question, please review my article "Beyond Charlie Chan, The Principal Chan Actors in Non-Chan Movies".

This article may be read on this wonderful website. It is the last article in the video section in 'The Study'. Please take a peak.

Upon clicking on the article, scroll down to Sidney Toler's non-Chan credits. Here you will find the answer to your question. Thank you for asking.

Steve

Oldies.com has it, as a legit release.