Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dead Men Tell

Dear Pete,

You have done it again. Today I was finally able to take the time to watch "Dead Men Tell" again. I found two other "clues" which I humbly add to your well-thought-out hypothesis.

First, Charlie Chan notes that he is trying to bring his Number Two Son, jimmy back to his books at college. It has been well established that Jimmy attended the University of Southern California (USC) in Los Angeles. It would be very unlikely that Jimmy would be traveling all the way up to San Francisco and then find his pop following him there to bring him back to L.A. If this had been the case, the senior Chan would certainly NOT have been amused!

Next, Mr. Chan was told that his son was once again "in the harbor." That is, he had fallen into the "drink" again! Now, if we were in San Francisco, I believe that the comment would have contained the word "bay."

A third clue of sorts is the presence of a movie actor, Charles Thursday, accompanied by his new bride. They were on the treasure-hunting trip as part of their honeymoon. Again, this points to Los Angeles, more specifically, Hollywood.

So, I believe that with everything pointing in the direction that you indicated, we can fairly safely state that this adventure takes place in Los Angeles Harbor - San Pedro. And, Charlie Chan was not a stranger to that location, having been there at least once before, as seen in "Charlie Chan at the Race Track."

Thank you so much, again, Pete!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Rush,
Thanks, and I think the points you make are excellent and lead me to another one. At the end of the film when Chan tells his son that home is due west, that comment wouldn't be valid if they were in San Francisco Bay, it only makes sense if they are already in the Pacific.

So the bigger question is how do we get the film summary changed to reflect what we figured out?

Dear Pete,

The other change you mention has been completed here at this site. If something has been overlooked, please let me know.

Thank you...

Sincerely,
Rush