Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The Turner Classics Charlie Chan Collections Ships Today June 8th

The new collection DVD set ships today or is available in stores that have the item. I plan to purchase mine this weekend and it will ship to me via the mail system, so I expect at least 5 business days.

I can't wait to see more of number 2 son played by the late Victor Sen Yung and there will be a Benson Fong (number 3 son) representation also.

I think its nice to see a Charlie Chan box set with one of his sons on it along with "pop", especially being that number 3 son wasn't the most widely remembered (by casual Chan movie viewers IMO).

Re: The Turner Classics Charlie Chan Collections Ships Today June 8th

My copy arrived today!

Though expected, I was still a little disappointed that there wasn't any bonus footage as in previous releases.

Either way, I'm excited to have much clearer copies.

Matt

We were so eager to get our copy that we went out to costco, and of course it wasn't there, yet. It will no doubt show up out there, now that I have come home and ordered a copy online.

We only have "Dark Alibi" on an incredibly old video tape, and none of the others. I taped all of the movies I could, when they started showing them again, in the early '80s. I would start the recorder going, and usually had to go to work or to sleep, and so would only get to see them for the first time when I had the time to sit down and copy them to another video, taking out the tons of commercials that came on the weird channels that broadcast Charlie, back in those days.

My husband and I both love the Chan movies. He remembers seeing them as a kid, and missed them over the years. I never saw them as a kid, but I am 5 years younger than he is, AND he grew up in a large town, living across the street from a movie theater! He saw almost everything.

Hope my video comes soon, am counting the hours.

Diana

I received mine today. You have to love Amazon!!!
I had a time removing the discs from the holders, though--am I the only klutz, here?!

I am very glad to see a Roland Winter's interpretation of our hero ("The Chinese Ring.") Mr. Toler's "Dark Alibi" is also one of the best of the later Chans, IMHO.

On the "B" sides, "Dangerous Money," and "The Trap" are at the bottom--sorry offerings from the great Mr. Toler--not his fault, though! I watch "DM" to try to figure out the plot and laugh at the cheesiness of the whole production. I watch the "The Trap" to try to figure out WHY it was even made! (I so wanted to slap both "Cole King--the Maistro" for his whining, and "Clementine" for her incessant screaming!)

If only "The Trap" wasn't Mr. Toler's last movie! Can you just imagine how even better "The Chinese Ring" would have been with Mr. Toler--it certainly would have been a better swan song! This is not to denigrate Mr. Winters' fine portrayal--one of the best of his Chans, IMHO.

Of course, I am thankful for the Warner Home Video release--so much better quality than the gray-market's!

So now, we all wait with bated breath for Warner Home Video to release Mr. Toler's "The Red Dragon," and "Shadows Over Chinatown," and Mr. Winters' "The Docks of New Orleans," "Shanghai Chest," "The Golden Eye," "The Feathered Serpent," and "The Sky Dragon," to replace our less than pristine "home" copies.

I am glad you enjoyed yours and thanks for informing of how the shows were. I too look forward to hopefully seeing the remainder of the Tolers and Winters Chan films on DVD. I have not seen the Roland Winter Chans at all that I can recall in my life. I would be especially interested to see "Featherd Serpent" so I can see how both number 1 and number 2 son serve up the offspring mayhem. LOL!

On another note, I also placed my order for this at Deep Discount dot com, but was informed via email (not in my shopping cart) that the new Chan set was on back-order. So I guess I have to wait at least a couple of weeks, then they ship it to me which may take a couple of works more to get to me (as I selected free shipping . So I possibly have to wait another month before I get mine to enjoy. Well at least I got it at a great price $22.04. Plus what is great about it is, that the set was prominently displayed on the Deep Discount home page so this gets "Mr. Chan" some good exposure. Nice to see it sold it so quickly. LOL!

Timothy,

As my "pop" would say, "you one smart cookie" or something like that. Deep Discount is the way to go. The lowest prices of any website. And you can't beat free shipping, even to Hawaii.

After work today (Tuesday), I stopped by Costco to look for the Charlie Chan Spotlight collection. I did not see it, but I found an interesting Sherlock Holmes DVD collection. Entitled: Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes, The Complete Granada Television Series (1980s), 12 Disc Boxset. Price tag: $99.99.

Don't touch that dial mystery fans because there's more. At the cash register, there is a $20.00 discount on Holmes DVD collection. Final price: $79.99. This special discount is good thru the month of June. Such a deal.

As for Charlie Chan ... he must be on one of those slow boats from China. He get to Costco whenever.

As James Hong would say, "Got a clue?"

I, and my wife as well, hafta agree with you about The Trap! This stinker takes shameful to a new level while setting a new low watermark for story lines The Trap, imho was definate quintessential tripe can you say emote?