Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thoughts on CC in Reno

That Mrs. Bentley would have been interesting to hang around with for a while...I wonder what happened to Jimmy's friends' car...he didn't seem to concerned about it being stolen nor was Charlie...Was Reno portrayed realistically? Did people really go there for quickie divorces?...Could have done without the extended sequence at the ghost town...didn't find 'Tombstone' to be all that funny...do you think Mrs. Wells really defended herself vs Mrs. Bentley or was the killing pre-meditated? Overall, I give this film three cups of tea out of four!

Re: Thoughts on CC in Reno

Can't answer all your points, but will give you some feedback.

"Reno" is one of my favorite Chan movies. I cannot say what makes any particular movie a favorite to me, but this is one.

Yes, Reno was the divorce capital of the nation, until other states started reforming divorce laws. Back in those days Nevada was one of, or maybe the only, place you could get a divorce, without proving in court that there was some good reason to get a divorce. It wasn't just the speed (6 weeks), but the cleanliness of the procedure that appealed. Anyone who had the money to travel to Nevada, and pay for 6 weeks rent in a hotel/dude ranch/boarding house, etc., did so.

Ms. Wells probably did try the self defense story in court. She didn't go with those scissors. Don't know how she felt after her doctor was put away, though.

Diana