Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Circumventing the PC'ers

I have enjoyed reading through everyone's thoughts and opinions on this very interesting thread. Now, if I may add my humble two-cents' worth...

I think that a "remake" of Charlie Chan, with settings in the past, etc., could work. However, my fear is that the inevitable anachronisms - for example, the intrusion of the social/political mores of our present moment in time - would be a great hindrance. There would be too much temptation for a tongue-in-cheek treatment, and we could very probably end up with something of a spoof as was the case with 1981's "Charlie Chan and the Curse of the Dragon Queen."

Perhaps more realistic would be to set a "Charlie Chan" character in the world of today. The rumored (for many years, now!) "Chan" film by Lucy Liu, done "right," could, I feel, fill the bill. My thought would be slightly different. The "new" Charlie Chan would be a descendent of our beloved Charlie Chan. He (sorry...not she) would be the grandson of Mr. Chan. Maybe his father could be the still-living Charlie Chan, Jr., Layne Tom. Layne Tom could reprise his role in a new film (or multi-film series, if I may be very optimistic!), appearing as the father of today's Charlie Chan, who was raised in the huge shadow (no pun intended!) of his famous grand-pop. In fact, if our new Charlie Chan - Charlie Chan III - being, say, "sixty summers old" himself, could have known his grandfather very well. He could have spent much time with him, and the elder Chan could have been a model for he, himself, to follow in life.

There would be obvious direct ties to the original Chan and series. The physical link, or bridge, to the old series would be the person of Layne Tom, who would offer a very real "pedigree" as well! Flashbacks and references could abound, which would please the traditional Charlie Chan fan, and the setting in the present time could appeal to the, shall I say, less-traditional audience. Yes, martial arts could come into play, but would hopefully not become the focus. Remember, there were a few instances where Charlie Chan performed very quick "martial arts" moves/tactics in the original series.

I realize that the odds are far higher that the four "lost" Charlie Chan movies will be found before a "good" new Charlie Chan film will be produced! However, we can all dream, though...

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

all great ideas. You know sometimes I wonder if someone did a stage play of Charlie Chan, who could fill the shoes. I think I could get the mannerisms right for the Warner Oland role, but I don't have the age on me, or the ideal look, but I know I have the mannerisms for sure. HAHA!

Though if they did "ressurect" the icon of Chan himself, there is one well known Chinese actor (who has also directed) that could fit the bill most likely. He is none other than Sammo Hung. For those who don't know him, he was in a televised show that aired in America and was filmed here called "Martial Law". The show also starred another actress of oriental ethnicity, Kelly Hu. Kelly Hu has also appeared as Lady Deathstrike in the second Fox Studios X-Men 2 movie. (if you recall the movie where Hugh Jackman as Wolverine fought against the woman in clad black leather who had the long striking fingernails of the same metal as his?)

Well back to Sammo, since he has age on him, and he is a bit larger in character, he could do more of an Oland style Chan. Pictures of Sammo Hung can be viewed here at this link: http://www.flixster.com/actor/sammo-hung-kambo. Sammo Hung is also a long time friend of Jackie Chan. They go WAAAYYYY BACK! Look at the second picture in the middle bottom of the page (where it reads "Sammo Hung Mini-bio"). What do you think? I see some Warner Oland resemblance there. (please don't think ill of me because I constantly reference Warner Oland.) Sammo Hung has an extensive acting career and has done some work even in the new millennium. See here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005033/

To me, it would be good if they would have considered Sammo for the role. They could revive the "pop & son" team again that way, which made a Chan film what it was. If they have Lucy Liu in it, they essentially kill that known trait of Chan movies. As it is no longer Charlie, but a descendant. When they did the recent Sherlock Holmes film, they kept the character and said it was the exact character onscreen, not a child or grandchild. I have nothing against Lucy Liu at all. I love that actress, but to me, it would not carry on the spirit of the Chan movies if you have a son or daughter in the role. You need the title character really.

Not to take us off topic much, but if they do an up-to-date Mr. Moto film, that would indeed involve a martial artist. I can think of none other than Jet Li to play the role. Jet has the age, would look ideal with the haircut and glasses and has the height. The thing is, I believe since Mr. Moto is Japanese, if you cast a Chinese actor, that may be like calling out the film detractors. Though it could work. I mean after all, the new film "The Karate Kid" just came out and it is not about karate at all, but kung fu. LOL! Talk about opening a can of worms.

Wow, some great ideas! I spent a lot of time today thinking of various scenarios. I hope someday someone will start a new chapter in the Chan anthology and will be faithful to the legacy.

Why not do it both ways. Start out Chan as a standard James Bond type (action oriented, womanizing, arrogant everything the PCers complained about Charlie not being)but then have him make a tragic error linked directly to his lifestyle and arrogance. After struggling with the error he emerges significantly changed adopting a more demure intellectual style and only reverting to action and violence when forced into it.