Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Our mystery has been SOLVED! We have a WINNER!

Congratulations to Pete Rawlick who solved our Mystery of the Eleven Clues! He is the winner of a copy of "TCM Spotlight: Charlie Chan Collection." What follows is Pete's answer to our puzzle as well as his answers to each of the clues which pointed to the eventual answer:

"I have previously submitted my deduction that the clues point to the musical Flower Drum Song.

I will now present my case in detail

Clue 1. The article mentions that Keye Luke played in the Broadway adaption of Flower Drum Song.
Clue 2. Is a picture of the Arch Gate the entrance to Chinatown the setting for Flower Drum Song
Clue 3. The interview with Luke, Young, and Fong mentions the work they did in Flower Drum Song
Clue 4. Is the St. James Theatre where Flower Drum Song was premiered
Clue 5. Is a reference to the Charlie Chan TV show with James Hong who was in the film Flower Drum Song
Clue 6. Is a reference to Chalie and young son playing with a drum
Clue 7. Luke's favorite Chan movie is CC at the Opera in which Lee doesn't send a gift of flowers
Clue 8. The year is 1961, the year the movie Flower Drum Song was released
Clue 9. These are the birthdates of Luke, Young, Fong and Hong all f which were in Flower Drum Song
Clue 10. A reference to Barry Chan from the television show, played by Hong who was in Flower Drum Song
Clue 11. A scene from CC in Shanghai in which Charlie sings to little girl.

Pete Rawlik"

Again, congratulations, Pete!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Re: Our mystery has been SOLVED! We have a WINNER!

At last all those college electives in film appreciation, my netflix subscription and late nights in retro art theaters have paid off.

Plus, I have just justified to my wife watching TCM at at all hours of the night or day. (Of course it doesn't help at all with any of my ex-wives, they still don't get it).

Dear Pete,

Understood! Great job on our little puzzle!

Sincerely,
Rush

Congrats Pete!