Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: If Charlie Chan is Brought Back to the Movie Screen

It would be nice to see the man brought back in some manner or another. Exception: I can't get a grip on Lucy Liu (attractive though she is!) playing a distaff Charlie Chan!!!

As for the BBC, they seem to prefer remaking Miss Marple over and over for some reason. (Joan Hickson was the best--no need to remake!) They also copped out on "Inspector Lynley" mysteries BIG TIME! (Supposedly, the BBC had financial issues at the time.)

20th Century Fox would be ideal, but we'd have to settle with a "Neo-Monogram Studios"--they knew how to work within a very tight budget parameters. (Just don't remake "The Trap"!) And heaven forbid, no CGI unless absolutely necessary! We also don't want Charlie doing "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" stunts, do we?! And no vampire villians!!! Also, if Charlie is in his sixties, let him be in shape--no need to look like Peter Ustinov.

I wouldn't like to see a modern Chan or Grandson (or daughter) of..I think Chan belongs to a certain era. As do Sherlock Holmes, Poirot and Miss Marple. Some characters are really linked to a certain time. I would much prefer Chan as a BBC Mystery series then feature film. Even that would be difficult. Their recent versions of Miss Marple seem to me like modern actors in period dress. Not very convincing. Not like their previous Joan Hickson series, Jeremy Brett Holmes or David Suchet Poirot. They seem to have lost their touch. And it takes a certain touch to revive Chan and do him justice.

I would love to see an A&E adaptation much like the Poirot series and probably in the same era as the originals, though it might be interesting to see what the writers could do with a modern Chan if kept within the spirit of Biggers' novels.

I didn't see the Robert Downey Holmes, but based on the adds and promos it looked terrible. I didn't recognize Conan Doyle's Holmes in them at all, so I hope a similar attempt will not be made with Charlie Chan. That would be a sacrilege.

Dear Ron,

Agreed!

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Ron Sanford
I would love to see an A&E adaptation much like the Poirot series and probably in the same era as the originals, though it might be interesting to see what the writers could do with a modern Chan if kept within the spirit of Biggers' novels.

I didn't see the Robert Downey Holmes, but based on the adds and promos it looked terrible. I didn't recognize Conan Doyle's Holmes in them at all, so I hope a similar attempt will not be made with Charlie Chan. That would be a sacrilege.

Yeah the ads and promos for the RDjr Sherlock Holmes movie looked pretty out of context of sorts and also casting Jude Law as Dr. Watson, well I thought they had killed the persona of the classic crime solving duo. Though I rented the movie and found it quite enjoyable. It is not the same vein as Basil Rathborne's earlier films, but it has some good adaptation and conveyance of the era. The acting is very good from Downey and Jude Law makes a decent Dr. Watson. I ended up buying that movie on DVD. I don't regret having it.

Thanks for your reply, Timothy. I should probably rent it just so I can express a more authoritative opinion.