Return to Website

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board

Welcome to our Message Board. Please feel free to post your thoughts, questions, or information.

The Charlie Chan Family Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tonight's Monday Evening Chat/Film Viewing: "Charlie Chan in Rio"

Dear Len,

Your explanation sounds plausible. Of course, original audiences who watched this film in a theater never had the chance at "instant replay" that we, today, have! The best that one could do then would have been to sit through a second showing! Yes, the true killer would have needed some help as to the way this scene played out visually.

There is another instance of there necessarily being more than one person in on the murder, or at least being involved in the attempted cover-up. In "Charlie Chan's Secret," who is it that holds up Allen Colby's lifeless body, then dropping it down the stairs during the seance? Someone was assisting the true murderer. Also, were Prof. Bowan and Carlotta in on it, too? (Did someone at the seance use some elaborate gimmick such as was seen with the walking dead man trick in "The Jade Mask"?) It seems to me that there were a few loose ends left dangling at the "conclusion" of this case similar to that which was nicely analyzed by you.

Sincerely,
Rush

Another case, where I always think someone's GOTTA be helping the murderer, is in "Scarlet Clue". How'd that little, grumpy woman get that body out of the bottom of the elevator shaft on her own? (Maybe she was a strong lady, like the puppeteer in "Jade Mask"?) Elevators do not go to the bottom of their shafts.

I can "pretend" she is strong enough to get him on a cart of some kind, but not up an entire floor.

(Maybe it is that guy who NEVER gets to say a word. I do hope the union let him get regular pay for that role.)

Ideas?

Diana

Dear Diana,

Good point! We do see that the mastermind killer did have people working to help out, and, of course, there could have been at least one or two more than we and Charlie Chan came across! However, I may have a possibility as to how a body could be removed from the floor of the elevator shaft.

The elevator could have possibly been sent down with the killer on board. Then, upon reaching the bottom of the shaft, somehow release the hinged floor, pick up the body, close the floor, and then take the body away? Not too much strength would be needed. Also, there could be a door located at the base of the shaft that we didn't see that was used by elevator repair personnel. This would allow simple access to clear out the body of the victim. Just a couple of thoughts! What do you think?

Sincerely,
Rush Glick

Hmmmm... have to think about that. I worked in a building with elevators, and in one place there were four side by side, and as we worked 24X7 we had to learn how to get from one to another, in case one got stuck. I cannot even imagine having to do that now. Oh, anyway, in our building the elevators didn't go too close to the floor of the shaft. But, I guess you are right, if she used the trap door.

The silliest thing about the "Scarlet Clue's" murders, is how she relies on two of her victims to smoke a cigarette, within a short period of time.

I should stop thinking about these things, maybe.

I noticed that too watching it the second time!